• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tara's (C. cyaneopubescens) Journal

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Got my GBB only last night! It was so active and very pretty!

At only 1inch but I prepared a pretty big enclosure for this beauty.

Here it is with its first breakfast with me (attacked the roach nymph impressively)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Got my GBB only last night! It was so active and very pretty!

At only 1inch but I prepared a pretty big enclosure for this beauty.

Here it is with its first breakfast with me (attacked the roach nymph impressively)

Gbbs are like versis, very cool looking slings, totally different looking but even prettier as adults. Excellent choices on the other 2 as well, but that gbb is boss.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Such a pretty spiderling.
I'll give it a week and it'll have the whole decor in its tub webbed up. Mine always had a hide and plenty of plants, which it only uses for anchoring its web. It's even webbed up its water dish, lol.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Such a pretty spiderling.
I'll give it a week and it'll have the whole decor in its tub webbed up. Mine always had a hide and plenty of plants, which it only uses for anchoring its web. It's even webbed up its water dish, lol.
Yes! Put lots of green plastic plants in a GBB enclosure, and it will make the coolest haunted forest you've ever seen. Mine has a large molting mat laid on top of the plants, and has webbed in between them all the way down to it's flowerpot hide. They have a way of taking a standard enclosure setup and making it awesome..even my little 3 incher is doing it now, and her enclosure is admittedly too large for her. She doesn't seem to care though. She's got a huge rock she sits on like she's ruler of the room. Tip for newer hobbyists...in my experience, tarantulas love sitting on rocks.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Does premolt gbb slings show same signs as brachys? This one is refusing food (or afraid of the little green hoppers without their kickers?) and its last meal was 3days ago. Its still up and about though, webbing that is when it thinks no one is watching. :D

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love how their webs seems to grow every time you look away.
Mine used to get quite round and shiny before a molt and refuse food, although 3 days is not a long time yet lol. It also webbed quite frantically about a week before flipping over and its legs got darker. Now as a juvie it still obviously refuses food for a few weeks, but doesn't get quite as fat, but duller and darker in colour.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Does premolt gbb slings show same signs as brachys? This one is refusing food (or afraid of the little green hoppers without their kickers?) and its last meal was 3days ago. Its still up and about though, webbing that is when it thinks no one is watching. :D
Slings are just like adults in that regard, sometimes they eat two days before a molt, sometimes they refuse for two weeks before a molt. I'm surprised it didn't kick hairs at the cricket when it refused it. Mine used to love kicking hairs when they were slings. At everything..Like my genic sling does now, I open the top and she kicks a little puff of hair, almost every time..

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any new world with urticating hairs that has kicked a lot of them will normally show an obvious darkening of the bald spot.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm surprised it didn't kick hairs at the cricket when it refused it. Mine used to love kicking hairs when they were slings. At everything..Like my genic sling does now, I open the top and she kicks a little puff of hair, almost every time..
My GBB juvie is the only one of my spiders (only 9 though) that has ever kicked hair at me lol. I was taking the old molt out of its tub and it flicked. Can't say it had any effect on me other than an "Aww, how cute!". The LP sling tried once, but moved its legs too slow. I don't think he's quite got the hang of it yet lol.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
These will be the last photos of Tara

Goodbye my GBB. You will never be forgotten. :(

Journal closed.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry to hear this. Definitely get another one tho when you can. These are normally very tough tarantulas.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So sorry for you. Sometimes slings are just not meant to live, even the hardiest species.
I agree with Chubbs, don't give up on the species. Everyone needs a GBB.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks guys. Yup, there's always a space for a GBB. As a matter of fact, I got the lid marked with C. cyaneopubescens safely tucked away for a new one that may come my way. :cool: