• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula wont eat had him over a month now very concerned !!!!!

LittleTs

i was given a male tarantula by my gf's boss, he stated he was about 7yrs old. Ever since ive owned him he hasn't eaten the crickets and grass hoper that was in his enclosure the grasshopper and crickets died on their own. I've bought him two ****roaches'/beetles looking bugs that make a hissing sound when you touch them like a rattle snake and some mealworms/super worms. Ive tried feeding him the worms with a tong and he refuses to eat pushing the tong away. his enclosure has water and I've seen him chilling inside his water bowl ( i don't over fill his bowl)

I've heard that Ts don't usually eat when they are molting how do ik if mine is molting im very worried about his health as this is also my first T ever I've taken care for and i got really attached to him.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If your tarantula is definitely a male it is likely he is coming to the end of his life in which case he probably won't eat. All you can do is make sure he always has water available.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Hi is this a mature male they do not eat as often and sadly maybe coming to the end of his reign . If he is not a mature maybe a pic of himself and his enclosure might help.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If it's a "he." Then at 7 years old, he is VERY old. And as stated above Mature Males (MM's,) do not eat normally. MM's are like old soldiers they just fade away.
MM's have one mission in life, to procreate & food & water is of no importance to them.
Don't feed via tongs. Just put the food in & leave it for 24 hours & then remove it, if uneaten. Some T's will eat over night, some will immediately pounce on food. Some will go months between feeds, others will happily take offered food two at a time.
I have several MM's & the odd one will take food occasionally. But largely they are sadly just fading away.

Latest posts