• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula identification

farslayer9

So I bought two tarantulas yesterday and was given two free. They are all small, one is so small I can barely see him, but I confirmed he was in his tub. Overnight one of them escaped though. One that I bought was a mygalomorph. I honestly can't remember what he looked like, I was absolutely exhausted. There is no way he was big enough to escape his enclosure as he's big enough to not fit through holes or under the lid from what I recall seeing, the seller fed him a red roach to show how aggressive he is. Considering how aggressive these are, I was hoping someone could confirm that the tarantula which didn't escape is indeed the mygalomorph. I will sleep better knowing that he's still enclosed.

Thanks in advance,

Duane

Attachments

• mygalomorph .jpg
    mygalomorph .jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 19

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So I bought two tarantulas yesterday and was given two free. They are all small, one is so small I can barely see him, but I confirmed he was in his tub. Overnight one of them escaped though. One that I bought was a mygalomorph. I honestly can't remember what he looked like, I was absolutely exhausted. There is no way he was big enough to escape his enclosure as he's big enough to not fit through holes or under the lid from what I recall seeing, the seller fed him a red roach to show how aggressive he is. Considering how aggressive these are, I was hoping someone could confirm that the tarantula which didn't escape is indeed the mygalomorph. I will sleep better knowing that he's still enclosed.

Thanks in advance,

Duane
We need more than that...Mygalomorphae https://g.co/kgs/4nx5u5

Looks like a Pamphobeteus sp. Which it is is unknown

farslayer9

What else would you need to help identify? I'll definitely get whatever you need. I'm pretty sure this is the aggressive one, the one missing I think was smaller with spindly legs. But still...concern.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That spider isnt aggressive...food aggression doesnt mean it's an aggressive spider.
It's a defensive species for sure. Identification is nearly impossible until it ages more. You should have got more info from who you purchased it from instead of the name Mygalomorphae which covers hundreds of different spiders.

AndrewClayton

Mygalomorph covers all Tarantulas and quite a few other kinds of spiders that have fangs that point downwards to stab prey. The photo you posted is of a Pamphobeteus Sp and that is the best description as you will get without have the actual scientific name or location. They can be defensive but at that size are generally not too bad, but are ferocious eaters this does not mean an escaped one will Be Aggressive towards you and generally any new world slings are pretty harmless although a bite can still be sore so still be careful if and when capturing an escapee

Latest posts