• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Hiding Spot

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hey! Today my tarantula has started digging themselves a spot in the enclosure to hide for the first time. I’m not worried about this but was thinking about putting a little tunnel like thing for them to hide in. The reason for this is the spot they’re digging themself seems a bit cramped and uncomfortable (they’ve appeared to have some difficulty menuvering around it). Is this ok for its enclosure (temporarily or permanently) or should I get something from the pet store instead??

That would work fine. If you add more substrate she'll make her own tunnel, but hides are good to have too. I'd add some fake plants. Ive found if they have lots of cover they seem more comfortable coming out and showing themselves.
Thanks! Also, can you tell it’s a she? I’ve started to figure since I’ve had it for a while but I’m not too sure.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How long have you had her? And I was guessing at her sex. If you can get a close up shot of her abdomen underside I could probably tell you, since she looks mature.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its not terrible substrate, and the enclosure looks good for a rosea, but yeah, coco fiber and topsoil are much better substrates for tarantulas. Or excavator clay/sand for dry species like the rosea (Im a fan of clay, and this kind is designed to be easy to burrow in.) Also, certain types of wood are natural pesticides, fair warning. If you like the wood chips, theres a kind of substrate called jungle mix, its peat moss and fir wood chips(iirc), but not too much wood. I like it, it looks and smells like forest dirt.

Its not terrible substrate, and the enclosure looks good for a rosea, but yeah, coco fiber and topsoil are much better substrates for tarantulas. Or excavator clay/sand for dry species like the rosea (Im a fan of clay, and this kind is designed to be easy to burrow in.) Also, certain types of wood are natural pesticides, fair warning. If you like the wood chips, theres a kind of substrate called jungle mix, its peat moss and fir wood chips(iirc), but not too much wood. I like it, it looks and smells like forest dirt.
See, I’ve felt that exact thing too when buying it. I was unsure about it, but was convinced it would be ok since it said it was good for tarantulas and some pictures of tarantula enclosures seemed to have a similar type. Should’ve done better research.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
See, I’ve felt that exact thing too when buying it. I was unsure about it, but was convinced it would be ok since it said it was good for tarantulas and some pictures of tarantula enclosures seemed to have a similar type. Should’ve done better research.
Yeah, forums like this are your best friend when you have a spider question, the accumulated knowledge and experience of the members here is nothing to scoff at ;) Its easy to be misled in this hobby, happens to all of us.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm assuming you bought the substrate from a pet shop so I doubt it's toxic, but I would be inclined to have a coco peat mix beneath it and perhaps just have the larger stuff in one area or end of the enclosure. A note on adding substrate, it should be compressed as you add it so that any burrows will hold their shape.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Indeed, and also, you can have a few different types of sub in the same enclosure, so you can see what your spider prefers. Ive done it a few times. Dont put rocks in while experimenting though, most of them gravitate towards rocks. I often wonder if a lot of them wouldn't be happier with just a pile of rocks..

Latest posts