• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. vagans acting weird

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Ok, that’s about 55-65 F, it is a little cold for day temperature, especially if it gets colder at night.
Make sure the air circulates in the room as you are warming it progressively.
Please update us tomorrow but I would consider taking her out of the ICU and back to her enclosure.
P.S: did you had anything to the enclosure recently? Did you use (or someone might have used) any chemicals in this room?

Probably it really got cold this week and it hit on my T. vagans. I'll do as you say.
So, I'll take her out of the ICU and tomorrow I'll check how she's doing. Thank you so much for your help.

PS. No. Nothing new or different recently.

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Update.

I left her on the enclosure the whole night.

Found her with her front legs tucked under her so I moved her to see if... Well, she's alive.

She can walk but it's slow and little bit clumsy, like shesy tired so... I'm not sure if she's recovering or not :(

What are your thoughts? Should I do something else?

Attachments

• VID_20220207_104902.mp4
    29.2 MB
  • IMG_20220207_105203.jpg
    IMG_20220207_105203.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Well, I think she's not gonna make it.
Yesterday I flipped her so I can give her water and kept it like that on the enclosure.

I was going to put her in ICU again but she crawled to her hide. I thought to leave her like that overnight because she kept moving her legs.

Today she awoke on the same position. I touched her to see if she was alive and moved her legs but... I don't think she's trying to molt. I think she just can't flip back to her toes.

Please let me know if there's something else you think I can do...

Attachments

• IMG_20220208_094441.jpg
    IMG_20220208_094441.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, I think she's not gonna make it.
Yesterday I flipped her so I can give her water and kept it like that on the enclosure.

I was going to put her in ICU again but she crawled to her hide. I thought to leave her like that overnight because she kept moving her legs.

Today she awoke on the same position. I touched her to see if she was alive and moved her legs but... I don't think she's trying to molt. I think she just can't flip back to her toes.

Please let me know if there's something else you think I can do...
Good morning,
The position could indicate she is starting molting but then again I doubt so as the exposed skin on her abdomen is not glossy black. What is the temperature now in the room? All together I would stop touching it. If it was thirsty (even without being able to drink) it would remain by its water dish and the substrate definitely looked moist enough. It doesn't look good at this point and I would stop touching her as it only add stress to the animal and will not unfortunately improve the situation. Please continue to post updates from far.

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Good morning,
The position could indicate she is starting molting but then again I doubt so as the exposed skin on her abdomen is not glossy black. What is the temperature now in the room? All together I would stop touching it. If it was thirsty (even without being able to drink) it would remain by its water dish and the substrate definitely looked moist enough. It doesn't look good at this point and I would stop touching her as it only add stress to the animal and will not unfortunately improve the situation. Please continue to post updates from far.

Thank you for answering.
I also don't think she's molting but I'll leave it there and just keep an eye on her.
The temperature of the room is between 20°-23°C most of the time since I haven't turned off the heater.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you for answering.
I also don't think she's molting but I'll leave it there and just keep an eye on her.
The temperature of the room is between 20°-23°C most of the time since I haven't turned off the heater.
It is a little bit on the lower hand of the temps spectrum for these but I doubt increasing the temperature would really have an impact now. Hoping for the best or at least for it to pass peacefully.
If it does, please do not blame yourself as you very likely did nothing wrong and obviously cared very much for it. Unfortunately like with every living things, sometimes it doesn't work like expected and very often there are no explanations on what happened. Please do not let this get you down.

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
I just read your post. I'm so sorry you and your baby are going through this. I can't really offer advice, but it looks like you've gotten some excellent help already. I just want to say I'm crossing my fingers for you both. Best wishes to you.
Thank you very much!

As an update. She's still alive.
She stayed in this position since the last time I commented here. Once (like... Wednesday or so) she tried to climb towards the top part of her hide and stayed there on her belly for some houts but then the next day I found her on her back again. I guess she just fell because of her weakness.

She moves her legs softly and once in a while, I drop some water on her mouth area or mist the enclosure as usual.

It's complicated to know if she's getting better or not but it's been the same the whole week so at least, I think it's not getting worse.

Attachments

• IMG_20220212_120334.jpg
    IMG_20220212_120334.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220212_120339.jpg
    IMG_20220212_120339.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Sadly my T. vagans, Inari, left me today.
In the morning I gave her some water and still moved but after coming from work, she was totally still.

I just wanted to let you know and thank you for your help, kind comments and support. I really appreciate it.

I'll take care of my other tarantula, a B. auratum which seems totally fine and healthy :)

Thank you again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_162849.jpg
    IMG_20220216_162849.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

sunset

I'm so sorry to hear about Inaris passing.
It can be really hard having inverts and reptiles sometimes. They are made to never show weakness, so they can survive out there. We also know so little about T's, when one of them shows signs of illness, it can be too late to help them and/or we don't know what's wrong. You seem to be caring for them well and I think you did all you could have done. Unless you did a necropsy, you may never know what happened. You did your very best and reached out for help. I'm sure your T really appreciated the help you tried to give it. I'm also glad your other T is doing well. Keep a close eye on it in case you see any changes. Best wishes.

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear about Inaris passing.
It can be really hard having inverts and reptiles sometimes. They are made to never show weakness, so they can survive out there. We also know so little about T's, when one of them shows signs of illness, it can be too late to help them and/or we don't know what's wrong. You seem to be caring for them well and I think you did all you could have done. Unless you did a necropsy, you may never know what happened. You did your very best and reached out for help. I'm sure your T really appreciated the help you tried to give it. I'm also glad your other T is doing well. Keep a close eye on it in case you see any changes. Best wishes.

Thank you for your words.
I didn't want to be moving her around anymore so I took my time and buried her under some pretty plants.

Just to lighten the mood a little bit, here's a picture of Inari (always hungry and eating a lot) and her showy neighbor Amida (B. auratum).

Attachments

• IMG_20210909_221041.jpg
    IMG_20210909_221041.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220118_220601.jpg
    IMG_20220118_220601.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13