• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. vagans acting weird

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Hi everyone!

Today I was checking on my tarantulas and I noticed my T. vagans kinda curled up.
I immediately tried to move it and fall but after that it started moving.
Make it walk towards its water bowl and noticed it dragged some of its legs. I grabbed it to check if it would climb and took this picture.
It has been acting normal until today, I don't know what happened.
Is something wrong with it?

IMG_20220206_172558.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20220206_172354.mp4
    45.6 MB

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
I already put in in ICU... It didn't drink water when put on top of its water dish.

It's still alive but I really don't know what's wrong or what else I can do.

Attachments

• IMG_20220206_180401.jpg
    IMG_20220206_180401.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

tricia.w.

Awe! I hope shes ok! Id offer advice but I'm really not an expert.. she's not getting ready to molt is she? Or possibly fed a bug from outside? Sometimes, from outside, they will eat/touch bug killer and it could hurt the spider.. but yeah, I really hope you can solve the problem!!!

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Awe! I hope shes ok! Id offer advice but I'm really not an expert.. she's not getting ready to molt is she? Or possibly fed a bug from outside? Sometimes, from outside, they will eat/touch bug killer and it could hurt the spider.. but yeah, I really hope you can solve the problem!!!

I checked her because I'm really stressed. It seemed it was not moving anymore and grabbed her to check but she moved her legs kinda normal but clumsy.
I thought she would molt soon because has refused eating since november but was active and normal this whole time and her abdomen is quite plump.
Recently I dropped a redrunner ****roach on her enclosure and it disappeared but it was not taken from outside.

tricia.w.

I checked her because I'm really stressed. It seemed it was not moving anymore and grabbed her to check but she moved her legs kinda normal but clumsy.
I thought she would molt soon because has refused eating since november but was active and normal this whole time and her abdomen is quite plump.
Recently I dropped a redrunner ****roach on her enclosure and it disappeared but it was not taken from outside.
Is that a new food to her?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi,
The T doesn't seem to be acting normal indeed. Could we please have a picture of the whole enclosure?
If the video posted is from today, it is not in premolt as you can clearly see a tan abdomen skin where it probably kicked some hair. The one thing that puzzles me is that you mentioned it is a T. vagans, but in my opinion doesn't look like one. How long has this T been with you, do you know its age?

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Hi,
The T doesn't seem to be acting normal indeed. Could we please have a picture of the whole enclosure?
If the video posted is from today, it is not in premolt as you can clearly see a tan abdomen skin where it probably kicked some hair. The one thing that puzzles me is that you mentioned it is a T. vagans, but in my opinion doesn't look like one. How long has this T been with you, do you know its age?
Hi, yes. This is the enclosure. It's empty since it's still on ICU.

I've had it since march 2021 but it hasn't molted since. That's a picture from september and it has looked the same these months.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 19.09.49 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 19.09.49 (1).jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 23
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 19.09.49.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 19.09.49.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 26
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 19.15.02.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 19.15.02.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 24

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you.
The last picture looks a lot more like a vagans. She is due for a molt (her coloration is fairly "washed out") but I would have expected the skin of her abdomen to be darker if she was close to it. The enclosure doesn't look bad, but I would consider maybe a little less water in the substrate (you can see the humidity going through the substrate under your water dish). I do not believe looking at the enclosure and her abdomen that your T is dehydrated.
Is she in a warm enough place? Where do you leave?

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Hi,
Ah sorry, forgot to answer regarding the age.

According to the document I received when purchased, it should have been around 1-2 years old.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 19.10.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 19.10.37.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 14

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Thank you.
The last picture looks a lot more like a vagans. She is due for a molt (her coloration is fairly "washed out") but I would have expected the skin of her abdomen to be darker if she was close to it. The enclosure doesn't look bad, but I would consider maybe a little less water in the substrate (you can see the humidity going through the substrate under your water dish). I do not believe looking at the enclosure and her abdomen that your T is dehydrated.
Is she in a warm enough place? Where do you leave?
Maybe the water was because I refilled the dish right before taking the video that I uploaded a while ago and tried to make her drink.
I think that the cold could be a problem but yesterday it seemed totally normal. I'm from Mexico City.

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
It kinda looks better. It's not very noticeable but it looks more like it's standing rather than just laying down.

I'm just really hopeful but I don't know how long should I keep her like this to be sure.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 19.48.44.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 19.48.44.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 17

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Maybe the water was because I refilled the dish right before taking the video that I uploaded a while ago and tried to make her drink.
I think that the cold could be a problem but yesterday it seemed totally normal. I'm from Mexico City.
What is the temperature where the T is during the day?

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
What is the temperature where the T is during the day?
Maybe around 15°C - 18°C right now that it's been cloudy and the temperature dropped recently.
Right now I put a heater for the entire room so my other tarantula doesn't have any problems and to help this one.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok, that’s about 55-65 F, it is a little cold for day temperature, especially if it gets colder at night.
Make sure the air circulates in the room as you are warming it progressively.
Please update us tomorrow but I would consider taking her out of the ICU and back to her enclosure.
P.S: did you had anything to the enclosure recently? Did you use (or someone might have used) any chemicals in this room?