• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T stirmi question

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Its worth the wait though to see any T grow, especially these when they reach a collosal size. My missus thinks zeus is ugly but i think different haha

micheldied

3 Year Member
I think keeping the abdomen the same size as the carapace is a little on the skinny size. Some of my Theraphosa slings have had an abdomen similar in size to the carapace right after a molt, and they weren't obese before that. However, definitely don't want to get them too fat.

The smaller of my two slings was in premolt for nearly 3 weeks, and refused food for that whole period. The other, which just molted, did so only a week after its last meal. As I recall, my T. apophysis in the past didn't take very long in premolt as slings either.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Update - its flipped [emoji2]
e299f32b02d30655f7b9a5fc760016b0.jpg

Last edited:

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Well at long last zeus has molted, if u look on the left of the pic you can see one of the nice new fangs. Ive pulled the molt, the abdomen was in a pretty bad way but ive unfolded it the best i can and i think its a female. Molt measures 4.5 inch.
c11b15eacfc7452680d7a2b0e788c901.jpg
1c5db6772b92950d0327b8f7bef21d74.jpg

9ee6bf70d48a693a39f8335a68ed9b1f.jpg

Also my female b smithi arrived today, looks like shes due a molt soon.
be84a23824d629293281a648fc98719c.jpg

Last edited:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice smithi, looks pretty dark too so molt in a week or two. Its colors will be sharper by then.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
She molted yesterday, was quite a suprise actually, i moved her into a new enclosure as the one i put her in when she arrived was just temporary whilst i was waiting for the new one to be delivered, she had a wonder around then went and dug in behind one of the fake plants in the back corner and stayed there, i checked yesterday evening and she had molted [emoji2]

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
just shows she likes the new digs ;) My son's GBB did that in his new enclosure on his last molt. He wasn't in it but a few hours before he made a mat on the leaves and molted.

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Premolt Periods can Drag on for a long time. Even my 3/4 inch B smithi sling. been in premolt for a little over a month still hasn't molted. Awesome Spiders btw.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
that sounds normal for my Brachys. 4-6 weeks at that size. drives me nuts cause i love to watch them feed lol

Latest posts