• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. Blondi (trouble?)

pperrotta03

3 Year Member
Picked up one of these beauties from a company up here. Was in a deli cup for about two months and, even though it was in horrible condition and it was cheap. Trying to save this poor fella. I have him on peat moss, considering making a mix with some substrate with larger wood chips or something. I do not know the gender. The humidity is around 90%, I'm trying to keep the tank very dark, so I put a 20 gallon UTH on, it is placed right in the middle of the tank because I read too many different things about what they seek for in a hide, if they like it colder in the hide and what not, which I believe is true. Air temp is about 75*F It is a 10 gallon tank, with a medium sized water dish, a small tree thing, and a half log. Also, it has not eaten since I got it, but I would assume that it has eaten. Have not taken any measurements on it but will update in the near future. I just don't want to stress it out any more than it needs to be, but it is definitely not a baby and definitely not an adult. Juvenile to sub adult maybe. Another thing, its abdomen is sort of sunken in when it is just sitting, looks kind of shriveled. Any suggestions would be great.

This is it:
20130830_112505.jpg
20130830_112626.jpg

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
first things first. That's not a Blondi, it's a Stirmi. Very similar Tarantulas, but Stirmi are actually much hardier.
You don't need 90% humidity. 70-80%% is fine. The substrate shouldn't be wet just damp. You do need a lot more substrate.
I only leave about 5" between the top of the enclosure and the top of the substrate. Stirmi are very active Tarantulas at night and due to their size a fall can easily kill them. even one of just 10" onto peat moss. Don't worry about it not eating.
Get rid of the half log, and put half a plastic flower pot in there. Buryi it almost completely leaving an opening just large enough for your Tarantula. The important thing with a tarantula hide is darkness. If it can't get into a dark place, then there's no point in the hide.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask. I have quite a few Stirmi that I've raised from 1" slings to 10" monsters.

pperrotta03

3 Year Member
Well I did pay 70 for it, been working with this guy for years and always trusted his judgement. Traded him my 23 baby ribbon snakes and 20 bucks for it

pperrotta03

3 Year Member
Hmm ill think about it. Thanks again. And again, I was going to add more substrate, but I ran out and just got more in today. Breaking a flower pot right now lol. Thanks for the advice

Latest posts