• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. apophysis--How is the care level compared to T. stirmi?

NorseDad

I've been looking for a while for a T. stirmi sling or small juvenile, but I haven't had any luck. I don't usually like to buy long distance because I don't want the risk of shipping issues or the costs involved in overnight delivery. I wanted a Theraposa for the size factor, the higher challenge of care, and also because I read that they tend to be more forgiving of humidity than T. blondi. I don't think I'd have a problem living in FL with a good care regimen.

My local breeder recently got a shipment of 2" T. apophysis, and they asked if I'd be interested since I've asked them to keep their eyes out for me.

How does the T. apophysis compare to the stirmi in terms of care? Are they more less or about the same in terms of tolerance and resilience? Thank you for any and all advice.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Same as a stirmi. Moist substrate, big water dish, good ventilation, Temps between 68-80. If the apophysis is less than $100--- grab it, IMHO. They are the most expensive of the Theraposae.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the advice. My source is $125 no shipping for local pick up. They are also doing a holiday sale so I could get 10% more off. I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Make sure it is T. apophysis if you care about the species you are getting (if it matters). They can be pretty tricky to distinguish from stirmi if you don't know what to look for. The only one that looks significantly different out of the 3 is blondi (imo). They all pretty much have the same care requirement. BTW, I have a 4+" T. stirmi for $175. I will include free express shipping if interested. I'm not too far from you. :) Not as cheap but definitely bigger and not as fragile as the sling.

Latest posts