• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Super Noob!

James Kam

3 Year Member
I have never owned a tarantula or spider. Let's just put that out there! However when I was younger I did own an empire scorpion for a couple of years. I have been developing an interest in T's and True spiders only recently. I have been using Google constantly.

I was planning on purchasing and caring for an African Trapdoor Spider. The wife lost her mind when she heard that one.

So after some species research and my knowledge of proper enclosures. I have decided on the Mexican Orange Beauty. A Brachy., She'll be more docile and yet provide the same thrill when feeding and observing her behavior. Anyone have a large sling or sub adult preferably female they would be willing to make some money on?

[email protected]

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Welcome dude.
Brachypelma and Grammostola Genus are the most common beginner ones as they're mostly docile, gentle and showy. If you can't get the one you stated, there are plenty of options for the same colourations like mexican red leg, red knee and red rump etc

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome...great starter T. I had a male a few years ago. Very docile. Never flicked any hairs. He made it 8 years before he past away. Females will make it 20-30 years.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
I have never owned a tarantula or spider. Let's just put that out there! However when I was younger I did own an empire scorpion for a couple of years. I have been developing an interest in T's and True spiders only recently. I have been using Google constantly.

I was planning on purchasing and caring for an African Trapdoor Spider. The wife lost her mind when she heard that one.

So after some species research and my knowledge of proper enclosures. I have decided on the Mexican Orange Beauty. A Brachy., She'll be more docile and yet provide the same thrill when feeding and observing her behavior. Anyone have a large sling or sub adult preferably female they would be willing to make some money on?

[email protected]
Hello and welcome! I love this particular variety and have a one 1" sling available if you are interested. PM me and we can talk details. Welcome to the hobby!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The trapdoors aren't visible that often and have a real nasty bite. They are almost all wild caught as well.

Even a ground dwelling tarantula will probably make itself more visible.

The new world ones like the one you selected are in my opinion a better choice.

Bob63

3 Year Member
welcome to the hobby, that is my first t. also mine is about 3" now it's seems to be a great beginner so far.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to TF, great choice. Trap door spiders are cool but you never see them, and I've yet to see one that didn't have a serious attitude problem. Not that it's a dealbreaker, they're just probably not a good spider for a new keeper. The Brachypelma genus contains many fantastic species. My favorite has always been the boehmei.

Latest posts