• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate ..

5WO0DZ4

First off, thanks for welcoming me. Hope everybody had a good weekend. I'm about a week into having a Mex Red Knee, it's about 2 1/2" long and still in the same store bought (petco) enclosure. The new one I ordered should be here tomorrow ... what is the best substrate mix ? I've been seeing mixed reviews about everything. From The BioDude selling trash and charging way too much for shipping to just go dig up some dirt in the woodz. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally I use coco fibre for all my Ts and it works well.

Me too. I brought lots of dried blocks from Poundland. I also have some bagged substrate that I aquired with a couple of T's I brought.

The pre bagged, ready to use tarantula substrate is expensive for what it is. But if you want some cheap substrate, then I believe Swell has some coco fibre on offer at the moment.

sorry, I have just realised you are in the US, not the UK.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’d recommend coco fiber or I think it’s called jungle mix. You can also use topsoil, but I recommend drying it out if you do.

5WO0DZ4

Me too. I brought lots of dried blocks from Poundland. I also have some bagged substrate that I aquired with a couple of T's I brought.

The pre bagged, ready to use tarantula substrate is expensive for what it is. But if you want some cheap substrate, then I believe Swell has some coco fibre on offer at the moment.

sorry, I have just realised you are in the US, not the UK.
No need, you’re helping me. Thanks for your time !

5WO0DZ4

I’d recommend coco fiber or I think it’s called jungle mix. You can also use topsoil, but I recommend drying it out if you do.
Thanks, I’m outside at work all day. Been looking at some uprooted trees and soil from Debby today.

Tarantula Trooper

3 Year Member
I do like the Biodudes Terra Areanea(SPL) but it is costly! I also like Creature Soil and have found it as low as a dollar a quart bag! Coco fiber I have gotten away from because any time I got a mold outbreak in any of my moisture dependent T's enclosures it started in the Coco fiber! I started a bioactive with the plants etc. and no T in the Exo- Terra was just watering the plants and the bottom layer was Coco fiber with Terra Areanea on top. Couple months and entire bottom was covered in mold. People will say it was something in with the Coco fiber but it's happened so much so with the stuff I steer clear now. Just my take on Coco fiber! Still have my T. Albilosum on pure Coco fiber but she is the last one on pure! She seems to despise humidity and I only overflow the water dishes on the one side and let dry. This keeps the mold at bay if you do use Coco fiber. I do believe y'all in the UK and another cheaper substrate I use is Zilla Jungle Mix I do believe but I don't know what is available in good ole Albion!!

I have currently been using TerraAraneafrom BioDude. Full disclosure someone gave me a 18 quart bag. I would never spend 50 bucks for 18 quarts of dirt. My bonsai tree soil mix isnt even that expensive.
I normally use Zilla Jungle Mix.

siege

First off, thanks for welcoming me. Hope everybody had a good weekend. I'm about a week into having a Mex Red Knee, it's about 2 1/2" long and still in the same store bought (petco) enclosure. The new one I ordered should be here tomorrow ... what is the best substrate mix ? I've been seeing mixed reviews about everything. From The BioDude selling trash and charging way too much for shipping to just go dig up some dirt in the woodz. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I have a red knee, my 2nd. I always use coco fiber. They like it dry so when it drys out it is perfect.

Attachments

• 01AE37AD-6EF1-4478-81F3-29A8A6DE4571.jpeg
    01AE37AD-6EF1-4478-81F3-29A8A6DE4571.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4,284

Latest posts