• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate questions

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I completely agree, my G. Rosea is on coco husk ATM, and can't burrow what so ever.. Im going tomorrow to pick up some coco fiber.

Also for the Moss, i have heard that it tends to get mouldy, i mean i guess if your T is in a dry environment there is no worries, but i was thinking about putting some in my Scorpion tank but they have high humidity and i kind of don't want to deal with the whole cleaning up mold, AGAIN.
Well G.rosea don't burrow much in captivity anyway. Occasionally you'll get one that does, but it's not that common.

rénee

3 Year Member
Well G.rosea don't burrow much in captivity anyway. Occasionally you'll get one that does, but it's not that common.

I also don't like how it's kind of dusty/statics. It tends to stick to the walls, I also don't like all the wood chips too.

That's interesting about some burrowing and some not! Mine pretty much stays in the open and my uncle has 1 and she has literally created a "city" underneath. She barely comes up to the top!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah a few genera like Grammastola, Aphonopelma, and Brachypelma for example fall under the category of "opportunistic burrowers." Fossforial species like a lot of the Old World burrowing species are categorized as "obligate burrowers."

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have tried all sorts during 20 years of keeping....even the dreaded vermiculite that was all the rage at one pont. IMHO, coconut coir (can get a massive shredded bag delivered next day from fertile fibre) and Irish Peat Moss (if you can find garden suppliers that sell) is probably the best all round substrate either mixed or on its own. But like I say, that's IMHO only ☺

Latest posts