• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate questions

Jakob

3 Year Member
What kind of substrate should I use?
Just regular potting soil?

Most potting soils I seem to find are (well duh) for planting and therefore contain plant nutrients, calcium etc. etc.
When buying the right soil, what exactly should I ask for?

Btw. it's for a B. Smithi.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do the same. coco fiber with a little spaghnum moss(not necessary , just for a little color).And keep a water dish in there for it.

Jakob

3 Year Member

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Use coco fiber not husk. You can put a layer of moss on top.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You're welcome. I made the mistake of using coco husk one time, and I hate that stuff. It doesn't really allow for burrowing either.

JC1

3 Year Member
What kind of substrate should I use?
Just regular potting soil?

Most potting soils I seem to find are (well duh) for planting and therefore contain plant nutrients, calcium etc. etc.
When buying the right soil, what exactly should I ask for?

Btw. it's for a B. Smithi.
I use coco peat. mostly available in pet stores that sell tarantulas... i keep it moist with mist an a bit of moss on the side

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
thanks for the replies, I haven't yet found any unfertilized planting soil, and the smallest packaging of peat moss I could find was 75g. So I'll need to order.

I will be prdering exo terra products.
compressed coco husk fibre: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/plantation_soil.php
regular coco husk: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/coco_husk.php
forest moss: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/forest_moss.php

Which should I use? Or which two should I mix?
I use "Scott's" organic potting soil mixed 50/50 with coco fiber substrate. Add a little moss and ur good to go. Keep it dry, add ur water bowl and ur set.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've see a few people that use pure vermiculite, and swear by it. Always wanted to try it...I use jungle mix, (fir and coco peat) for moisture lovers, and eco earth for dry species, preferably. Both of these are expensive name brands that I'm getting kind of tired of paying for..I really like the jungle mix though, and substrate can be used for a long time, so I shouldn't complain I suppose. I just imagine some farmer bagging up dirt somewhere, laughing as he loads it in the trunk of his Lamborghini..

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use a combination of top soil, peat, and some vermiculite for species that require moist substrate. I

Back when I bought my first tarantulas in the '90s, many folks kept them on pure vermiculite (my old female G. porteri was on it for years). However, I think most in the hobby have moved away from that. I could see it working for some, but I don't get how it would work for burrowing species (unless they were being kept as terrestrials). I'd be interested to hear, though.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The coir can actually be gotten nearly anywhere rather cheaply,
everyone uses it as starting pellets for plants.
Never realized until I started keeping T's that it was the same stuff.
Just watch for types with NO additives. some have fertilizer pellets in it.
Same with the vermiculite. Cheap and a good option for moisture retention.
Funny thing is when we rebuilt they tore down my old shed which was full of this stuff :mad:

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I use vermiculite in my stirmi enclosure bc it supposedly helps with moisture. I mix some in about 20% V, 40% coco fiber, and 40% Eco earth. Mix it w water til it holds its shape. Then, before I put the mix in the enclosure, I put 1/2" of moist vermiculite in the bottom. Add my mix on top and presto. It's been very good to me so far

I've see a few people that use pure vermiculite, and swear by it. Always wanted to try it...I use jungle mix, (fir and coco peat) for moisture lovers, and eco earth for dry species, preferably. Both of these are expensive name brands that I'm getting kind of tired of paying for..I really like the jungle mix though, and substrate can be used for a long time, so I shouldn't complain I suppose. I just imagine some farmer bagging up dirt somewhere, laughing as he loads it in the trunk of his Lamborghini..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use vermiculite in my stirmi enclosure bc it supposedly helps with moisture. I mix some in about 20% V, 40% coco fiber, and 40% Eco earth. Mix it w water til it holds its shape. Then, before I put the mix in the enclosure, I put 1/2" of moist vermiculite in the bottom. Add my mix on top and presto. It's been very good to me so far
Is that for the more humid species? I've been looking for a good mix for my Vagans and Boehmei for burrowing. I've made them "bottle" burrows as the straight cocofiber doesn't hold it's shape, or i haven't set it up right to do so yet is probably more likely. For the Boehmei i cut the top off an unused prescription bottle and burried it in the substrate for a hide, he seems to like it. My little Vagans will sit on top of the one i made for him from a smaller plastic tube but he hasn't explored in side it yet that i've seen. He tends to hang out in the opposite corner under one of the silk leaves.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Is that for the more humid species? I've been looking for a good mix for my Vagans and Boehmei for burrowing. I've made them "bottle" burrows as the straight cocofiber doesn't hold it's shape, or i haven't set it up right to do so yet is probably more likely. For the Boehmei i cut the top off an unused prescription bottle and burried it in the substrate for a hide, he seems to like it. My little Vagans will sit on top of the one i made for him from a smaller plastic tube but he hasn't explored in side it yet that i've seen. He tends to hang out in the opposite corner under one of the silk leaves.
Yes, but for any really that requires a little bit of moisture n humidity. I find the vermiculite works great

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

For my species that don't need the extra moisture I just use top soil mixed with peat. It packs down well and makes for good burrowing. When I used just coco fiber, my burrowing species had no problem burrowing through it; they would just use webbing to shore it up.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For my species that don't need the extra moisture I just use top soil mixed with peat. It packs down well and makes for good burrowing. When I used just coco fiber, my burrowing species had no problem burrowing through it; they would just use webbing to shore it up.
My vagans is tiny still (1/4") and i've read it's best to keep them more moist than when they're larger. I wetted down the cocofiber until it was about the consistency of potting soil and it packed well. Hopefully the moisture in the soil will be enough with a regular misting of the side of the enclosure to keep him happy until he molts a time or 2 and doesn't need the extra moisture.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My vagans is tiny still (1/4") and i've read it's best to keep them more moist than when they're larger. I wetted down the cocofiber until it was about the consistency of potting soil and it packed well. Hopefully the moisture in the soil will be enough with a regular misting of the side of the enclosure to keep him happy until he molts a time or 2 and doesn't need the extra moisture.

I used to use coco fiber for everything, and a lot of folks still do. I just found that you have to be a bit more diligent in making sure it doesn't dry out. :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
True, that's one reason i use it. All the species i have like the dry substrate so far so it's easy to just dump it in and go.

rénee

3 Year Member
You're welcome. I made the mistake of using coco husk one time, and I hate that stuff. It doesn't really allow for burrowing either.
I completely agree, my G. Rosea is on coco husk ATM, and can't burrow what so ever.. Im going tomorrow to pick up some coco fiber.

Also for the Moss, i have heard that it tends to get mouldy, i mean i guess if your T is in a dry environment there is no worries, but i was thinking about putting some in my Scorpion tank but they have high humidity and i kind of don't want to deal with the whole cleaning up mold, AGAIN.

Latest posts