• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Still hasnt eaten or made his web

MusicByMike

3 Year Member
i had taken in a juvenile avicularia versicolor from petco about a week ago. he still hasnt eaten anything nor has he made his web. a few strands here and there but nothing much. ive tried moving things around in his enclosure to see if itd help but nothing. and with feeding i put him in a separate feeding cup. (cuz both him and the pinhead crickets are small) he still wont eat. i feel he may be in pre-molt but am not sure. any ideas?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When you say a juvenile, how big is it? I ask because a pinhead cricket could be too small, even most of my little slings will tackle a small cricket. Also you should leave its enclosure alone and just let it settle, it can take a while for them to settle in a new home and constantly moving things could be stressing it.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just leave it alone for a week or two and let it get settled in. Everytime you rearrange it's enclosure it's like a re-housing for them. Then the acclimatization has to begin again. It's hard not to stress and worry. But simply keep its water dish full, make sure it's well ventilated and leave it completely alone. Don't move it to a separate container to feed, these guys don't like going out to eat ^.~
Pictures of the spider and it's enclosure would give folks an idea if there are any issues that need to be addressed.
A week is not a long time from the T's viewpoint, just give it some time to settle in.

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i had taken in a juvenile avicularia versicolor from petco about a week ago. he still hasnt eaten anything nor has he made his web. a few strands here and there but nothing much. ive tried moving things around in his enclosure to see if itd help but nothing. and with feeding i put him in a separate feeding cup. (cuz both him and the pinhead crickets are small) he still wont eat. i feel he may be in pre-molt but am not sure. any ideas?

A) Don't put the tarantula in a separate cup to feed it. Removing the tarantula from its environment (especially as often as you're implying that you do) is going to stress it out pretty bad, so of course it's not going to want to eat, let alone make a web.

B) if it's a juvenile I'm not sure why you're giving it pinhead crickets. Even most slings are too large to be fed pinhead crickets, and they're a pain so most people don't bother with them.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avics are weird, to begin with. All of them, in my experience. All of the advice above is solid. They're awesome spiders, but they must have a dish full of fresh water at all times and heavy cross ventilation. Don't moisten the sub other then over filling the dish sometimes, provide a climb for them, and some plastic leaves to anchor to, and they'll be happy. Avic care, simplified :D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
usually takes about 2 weeks or so after i rehouse my avics for them to settle and web and eat. Leave it alone and let it do it's thing, like @Chubbs said don't remove it to feed. Put the food in the enclosure with the avic and remove it the next day if it doesn't eat. try again a week later.

Food should be about the same size as the abdomen, mine won't eat anything larger than that, they'll run from it, and they ignore it if it's too small.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im with @MassExodus on this too. they r wierd acting when it comes to being finicky little f'ers! mine never webs unless it is going to molt and is "particular" about everything. what food. when. and how. only crickets, only at night, and she wants to hunt not be tong fed. little things. but if if it has water and cross ventilation, u have a while before u have to work about it not eating. if the abdomen is larger than the carapace u r fine.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avics will usually web just fine under ideal circumstances. So, if housed properly and given enough anchor points, they will usually begin to web within a couple weeks. However, these are not ideal circumstances in this case, since the op has been taking the tarantula out of its environment (an environment that it is still becoming acclimated to, and thus is likely still quite foreign to it) and placing it into another completely foreign environment. The overall situation is putting the animal under some pretty extreme stress. Its like l repeatedly hitting the reset button on a computer, its an extremely disorienting experience for the tarantula, so it's probably not gonna feel up to eating let alone webbing, webbing is a sign of them settling in.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My A.avic (the larger one) barely webs. She webbed together a couple of her silk leaves to make her nest and that's it, my other two are little silk machines. Just leave the poor thing get used to its house hunting, and please post a picture of its enclosure so we can help with any problems for you ^*^

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im with @MassExodus on this too. they r wierd acting when it comes to being finicky little f'ers! mine never webs unless it is going to molt and is "particular" about everything. what food. when. and how. only crickets, only at night, and she wants to hunt not be tong fed. little things. but if if it has water and cross ventilation, u have a while before u have to work about it not eating. if the abdomen is larger than the carapace u r fine.
Thanks @Entity you have given me another excuse (not that I usually need it) to refer back to the classic Jurassic Park and that moment when the T-Rex is offered the goat. This I find is a very good quote to remember when feeding yur Ts so here goes......"she does not want be fed, she wants to hunt". So unless there is a compelling reason to use tongues......dont ☺.
Back to the thread, everything above is spot on and very good advice. We probably stress about it more than the Ts do. Shows we care but sometimes doing nothing (apart from the water, feeding and ventilation that is) is often the best option. ☺

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks @Entity you have given me another excuse (not that I usually need it) to refer back to the classic Jurassic Park and that moment when the T-Rex is offered the goat. This I find is a very good quote to remember when feeding yur Ts so here goes......"she does not want be fed, she wants to hunt". So unless there is a compelling reason to use tongues......dont ☺.
Back to the thread, everything above is spot on and very good advice. We probably stress about it more than the Ts do. Shows we care but sometimes doing nothing (apart from the water, feeding and ventilation that is) is often the best option. ☺
Phil if u are feeding with "tongues" and not using "tongs" then u are way more of a man than i am buddy! lmao. sorry bud it was too funny not to pick on ya for. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lmao...for some reason this reminds me of a post someone made about getting bit on the lip by a cricket..ahaha. I'd forgotten about that..
You must try and remember or find it, why anyone would be putting crickets near their moth is beyond me...they stink for one....,so probably deserve everything they got. Lmao.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol, I think they were in a bind and did it to free a hand during feeding. Funny stuff. But yeah. I hate crickets. I do, however, let my hissers crawl in my mouth sometimes, and clean my teeth. Is that weird? XD
Uh....yeah Mass thats um....pretty weird. lol

Latest posts