• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spider names?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So i'm curious as to where the names for your spiders come from?

For example, my son's GBB is named Marley after one of his favorite singers, and the spider's colors are "Jamaican" he says.

Koby is named after his favorite cat that died this past summer.

Redrum is wordplay on the common name Red Rump, and murder backwards.

Savage is named so as he's from Brazil, i guess my son thinks they're all savages there :)

Moe, and Larry are wordplay with the 3 stooges, since the spider is Curly (hair)

Blass is "pale" in German, for the pale rose coloring.

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
Tabitha (g. porteri) just sounded like a suitable spider name.
Maleficent (h. lividum), because that's one bad @ss witch, and she's one bad @ss T!
Melisandre (a. avic), cuz I like the character. Can't tell if she's 100% evil or not.
My MM LP was Pandora before he was properly sexed. Now he's Romeo, lol.
Mama Spider (d. tenebrosus) because she keeps spinning egg sacs. Only one was viable, and her babies live in my garden now.
Winzig (t. stirmi), a poke at her size when she matures, as "winzig" is tiny in German.
And finally: Smiley McSunshine for the OBT. Don't think I need to explain that one. :rolleyes:

The rest have yet to be named.

Wg25

3 Year Member
My White Knee is called Whitney...cause I think she is a female and it almost sounds the same!
And most of my T's I just give names that I feel fits them! Haha oh and you also have some cool names kormath! :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most of mine are named after something to do with the country they come from like rivers, volcanoes, areas, crops etc. My son's p. vittata is called Enn which means 8 in Sri Lanka where they originate hence my user name on here.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
So i'm curious as to where the names for your spiders come from?

For example, my son's GBB is named Marley after one of his favorite singers, and the spider's colors are "Jamaican" he says.

Koby is named after his favorite cat that died this past summer.

Redrum is wordplay on the common name Red Rump, and murder backwards.

Savage is named so as he's from Brazil, i guess my son thinks they're all savages there :)

Moe, and Larry are wordplay with the 3 stooges, since the spider is Curly (hair)

Blass is "pale" in German, for the pale rose coloring.
"Rambo" is my large female T stirmi. Daughter named it, because it's a one man...err..T killing machine.
"Sling Tut", my GBB sling, because of all the gold on it.
"Charlotte", my female G porteri.
"Stirmi-nator", 4" juvenile T stirmi.
"Huggles", my OBT
"Socks", my Avic avic
"Casper", my P vittata
Hadn't named anymore, BUT they will all have names. I talk to them, so I must name them!!

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
"Rambo" is my large female T stirmi. Daughter named it, because it's a one man...err..T killing machine.
"Sling Tut", my GBB sling, because of all the gold on it.
"Charlotte", my female G porteri.
"Stirmi-nator", 4" juvenile T stirmi.
"Huggles", my OBT
"Socks", my Avic avic
"Casper", my P vittata
Hadn't named anymore, BUT they will all have names. I talk to them, so I must name them!!
i like those, they make sense :)

My son and i discuss our T's often, so it's easier to have names than trying to pronounce some of the latin names, and then we know for sure which one is being discussed. Specially when we get more. Right now it's easy with just a few.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
i like those, they make sense :)

My son and i discuss our T's often, so it's easier to have names than trying to pronounce some of the latin names, and then we know for sure which one is being discussed. Specially when we get more. Right now it's easy with just a few.
Exactly. My girls are learning the Latin names, but some are too hard. They talk about them by name but I'm trying to teach them.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The only tarantula I ever really bothered naming was my G.porteri, whom I got when I was 10, and was my first tarantula. None of my other ones have ever had names. That might seem boring to some people, but I like to label each enclosure with the scientific name and the common name underneath. Obviously I know which is which, but it's more for authenticity. I like to think of my collection as something like one big aquarium or a zoo perhaps (although I honestly hate using the word zoo), that I can show off to people who are interested in seeing them. I suppose that's one of the biggest reasons why I've always seen tarantulas (and most invertebrates really) as display animals, not actual "pets". A pet tends to imply something that can be handled or something a person would interact with both physically and emotionally on a regular basis. This could even apply to certain reptiles, but not inverts IMO. I actually enjoy them more when they're left alone and allowed to do what they'd do in the wild (or would LIKELY do). I know people use them interchangeably, but I just sorta felt the need to clear that up :p For species that I own more than one individual of, I may sometimes refer to each one with a specific name, but it's more of just a label that I use to distinguish them versus an actual name.

LauraS

3 Year Member
My first, a little B. smithi sling, is named Squish.
My second is a B. albopilosum named Curly.
My third, a female B. smithi, is named Rodilla Roja (Red Knee in Spanish).

My husband's G. rosea I named Mosag. Aragog's wife's name from Harry Potter.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The only tarantula I ever really bothered naming was my G.porteri, whom I got when I was 10, and was my first tarantula. None of my other ones have ever had names. That might seem boring to some people, but I like to label each enclosure with the scientific name and the common name underneath. Obviously I know which is which, but it's more for authenticity. I like to think of my collection as something like one big aquarium or a zoo perhaps (although I honestly hate using the word zoo), that I can show off to people who are interested in seeing them. I suppose that's one of the biggest reasons why I've always seen tarantulas (and most invertebrates really) as display animals, not actual "pets". A pet tends to imply something that can be handled or something a person would interact with both physically and emotionally on a regular basis. This could even apply to certain reptiles, but not inverts IMO. I actually enjoy them more when they're left alone and allowed to do what they'd do in the wild (or would LIKELY do). I know people use them interchangeably, but I just sorta felt the need to clear that up :p For species that I own more than one individual of, I may sometimes refer to each one with a specific name, but it's more of just a label that I use to distinguish them versus an actual name.
We interact with these emotionally all the time. Feeding is an example, maintenance another. Fretting over their molt or why the little @#%@# has been in his burrow for weeks or months and won't come out lol I think that puts them in the pet category. I can tell when i've spent too much time looking at the T's. My dog will paw at my leg for attention :)

I get it though, i agree they should be observed and not handled.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We interact with these emotionally all the time. Feeding is an example, maintenance another. Fretting over their molt or why the little @#%@# has been in his burrow for weeks or months and won't come out lol I think that puts them in the pet category. I can tell when i've spent too much time looking at the T's. My dog will paw at my leg for attention :)

I get it though, i agree they should be observed and not handled.
I don't really fret over those types of things though. Perhaps years ago I would have, but I've since learned it's best just to let them be. The tarantula knows what it's doing. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't. It's just something I've come to accept. Honestly don't know how i can make it any clearer. I'm just stating how I feel.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I named them common names like Andie or Albus. It's is the wife that like to play with the word Tarantula in naming our Ts like Tartar, Tara, Trani, Tula, Tarin, and Uli. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Since we're being honest, I tried naming mine. A few names stuck, most didn't, and I mostly fall back to thinking of them in their scientific name. Or GBB1 or GBB2. Some have some fond and explicit names, like Little F***er, my G pulchripes male that seems bent on my destruction. I like him.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I sometimes referred to my P.regalis as "Bumble Bee", but when I realized that about 99 percent of Pokies have the brilliant yellow and black leg markings, I kind of stopped calling her that, since pretty much every Pokie I'd get could technically have that same name applied to it. Same thing with "Pinky" for my fist Avic. Like I said, i only find it necessary to name them if I have more than one of the same species.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Most of mine don't have names, but a few do. Usually I name my favorites or ones that have some quirk or exceptional characteristic. I like to name the charismatic ones because people who look at my collection seem to find it easier to relate to a spider with a funny or cute name. "Landshark" the Ceratogyrus darlingi is always a hit. "Delilah" was my (male) Avicularia versicolor and my coworkers cried when I sent him off to breed. I don't think they would have been as emotionally invested in a coworker's pet if it hadn't had a memorable name.

I have like 100 and maybe a dozen are named. Obviously there's nothing wrong with naming them, but it's not a priority for me.

Latest posts