• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some concerns about enclosure

setsunadiava

Hi! I have an Acanthoscurria geniculata, she’s my first tarantula, I’ve had jumpers and a ladybird spider before but nothing as big and hairy as her. So I am a bit nervous about her care. I’m still very very new to this hobby and I guess I’ll learn from trial and error as I go, and I have already gotten some lovely advice in my introductory post.

I’m wondering if the size of the enclosure is okay? Should I go a tad bit bigger so I can fit a hide in there for her? And so I can get the soil a little deep too? Pet shop has been closed for a few days, so I can finally buy more soil tomorrow it seems. What is safe to add to her enclosure? I’ve heard some people on YouTube suggest decor from the dollar store would be okay?
I know the soil is absolutely pathetic at the moment and I want to change that asap, that’s just how I got her from the breeder and I’m very wary about how to add more. I’ve had her for a week now and she has yet to act out. But I did go ahead and get wielding goggles and some gardening gloves to decorate with the changes to the enclosure. Of course I’ll be looking at some YouTube videos for help, but since I can’t show my enclosure to the video, I thought I’d post here?
The other enclosures I did buy just in case are posted too.
I’m sorry I’ve got so many questions and some of them are rather silly.

Attachments

• 430D36E5-6DB8-426B-BDCD-CAC7AFBFB1B3.jpeg
    430D36E5-6DB8-426B-BDCD-CAC7AFBFB1B3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • F086E8E5-88EE-442E-9EF6-8526E532A239.jpeg
    F086E8E5-88EE-442E-9EF6-8526E532A239.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Out of the three enclosures you posted, I would rehouse her in the enclosure with the black lid, as it seems to have a bit more room, plus being an A. geniculata, she/he will grow fairly large relatively quickly, outgrowing its current enclosure in probably a molt.

If you want to add decor, silk plants are good. I’m a minimalist who rarely incorporated decor in enclosures, as it’s not really necessary unless you are raising heavy webbing and arboreal species. A water dish, a hide, plenty of substrate in case the tarantula decides to burrow or do some of its own redecorating is all that is needed to satisfy the needs of many species of tarantula.

A. geniculata are fun to raise, they never disappoint come feeding time. Once your specimen settles in, you’ll start seeing its true personality come out.

Isaac

I'd go with the black top also, mostly because they do have the tendency to grow pretty quickly. As far as substrate, definitely 2-3" at least, they seem to like to get in there as soon as they find the hide and completely dig it out and redecorate. I get substrate from Biodude, it doesn't require any false bottom and with some springtails in it you'll never see mold issues as long as you're not overwatering. It's quickly become a staple in the house.
I also always have a water dish, just in case. And when it comes to decor fake dollar store plants are perfect for easy maintenance, I have tons and tons of stuff I get, because they've proven way easier to maintain. I do have real plants in my larger enclosures but they're more on the bioactive side, and have all the additives in order to sustain themselves. For now I'd keep it simple, and get to learning your T before you start worrying too much about over complicating your enclosure. I think you'll enjoy the experience more that way also.

setsunadiava

I’ve gathered my supplies for the enclosure. But I’m stumped on the hide for her. I got a pot, a hamster house, and a skull I can put in at an angle. Since I hope I don’t have to disturb her for atleast a year, which one would be best? Can I just put in two and she can take use the one she likes?
The marbles are there because I have to open my windows sometimes and I worry the enclosure might be swept off by the wind. It’s Japan, the winds have no chill whatsoever here. I plan to put it at the bottom of the enclosure so it won’t affect her at all either way I think?
Is that enough soil? I got it from the guy who breeds them so it’s safe to use atleast.
Thank you for all the advice so far, it’s all been so helpful.

setsunadiava

Forgot to add pictures ‍♀️

Attachments

• 610B75F6-C163-47B0-8D63-544C4E6C7452.jpeg
    610B75F6-C163-47B0-8D63-544C4E6C7452.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 24D3DA87-9BBD-4B6D-AC42-A1172FF7BE59.jpeg
    24D3DA87-9BBD-4B6D-AC42-A1172FF7BE59.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 12EC0092-1F89-494C-98AF-900E1BC3C081.jpeg
    12EC0092-1F89-494C-98AF-900E1BC3C081.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’ve gathered my supplies for the enclosure. But I’m stumped on the hide for her. I got a pot, a hamster house, and a skull I can put in at an angle. Since I hope I don’t have to disturb her for atleast a year, which one would be best? Can I just put in two and she can take use the one she likes?
The marbles are there because I have to open my windows sometimes and I worry the enclosure might be swept off by the wind. It’s Japan, the winds have no chill whatsoever here. I plan to put it at the bottom of the enclosure so it won’t affect her at all either way I think?
Is that enough soil? I got it from the guy who breeds them so it’s safe to use atleast.
Thank you for all the advice so far, it’s all been so helpful.
Forgot to add pictures ‍♀️
Looking at the hides, I would go with the pot over the other hides, the hamster house would be a close second if it doesn’t have sharp edges. As for the substrate, at a glance, it looks like it should be plenty.

setsunadiava

Looking at the hides, I would go with the pot over the other hides, the hamster house would be a close second if it doesn’t have sharp edges. As for the substrate, at a glance, it looks like it should be plenty.
Thank you for the advice! I’m taking it. This is the general view of how I want to set up the enclosure, just with the pot instead of the skull. I’ll fill the enclosure half way though with soil.

Attachments

• 31870616-66A4-4AED-ABC0-BFE6C2177E6C.jpeg
    31870616-66A4-4AED-ABC0-BFE6C2177E6C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
So I am glad you got a picture of how you want it set up. Be sure to get pictures with the substrate in.

Then save space for taking pictures of how your tarantula wants things.

You and your T may have different tastes. I have not kept your species, but some Ts have their own ideas of how things should be. And thats one of the things i love about them.

setsunadiava

So I am glad you got a picture of how you want it set up. Be sure to get pictures with the substrate in.

Then save space for taking pictures of how your tarantula wants things.

You and your T may have different tastes. I have not kept your species, but some Ts have their own ideas of how things should be. And thats one of the things i love about them.
I’m fully expecting her to tear down everything I’ve set up and absolutely wreak havoc, that’s what she did in the tiny mid way enclosure I currently have her in. Lol
I’ll be sure to post the finished product and how she’s doing in it too :)

setsunadiava

I don’t know if she’ll like it or hate it or just immediately destroy it to spite me. But I finished my first decorated enclosure and my very first tarantula rehousing without any major incident. I’m glad I over prepared with googles, a face mask and gardening gloves lol
Welcome to your new home, Pukkuli <3

Attachments

• B2382DD5-3CF8-4243-9200-F1A801F8E79F.jpeg
    B2382DD5-3CF8-4243-9200-F1A801F8E79F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 82E82C7E-6A62-447E-96D6-D05F227AA5A3.jpeg
    82E82C7E-6A62-447E-96D6-D05F227AA5A3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 4413120C-4ED8-4C2A-BA39-C8CE89D9B0EC.jpeg
    4413120C-4ED8-4C2A-BA39-C8CE89D9B0EC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 589D3583-B1F5-4A89-B61A-E7D3F67C4C13.jpeg
    589D3583-B1F5-4A89-B61A-E7D3F67C4C13.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • ECABD98C-8C47-4F98-AAEB-C17B813CBAE8.jpeg
    ECABD98C-8C47-4F98-AAEB-C17B813CBAE8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I like it! I don't have that species so can't address specific needs. T looks big enough so height looks fine. I like giving my Ts some complete cover so that if they need it, but between the plants and hide should work.

Latest posts