• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sling premolt

Doddis1996

3 Year Member
Hello! I got a brachypelma boehmei sling a couple of weeks back and it hasn't eaten anything since then. I wonder if it could be in premolt, and if it is, how long does it usually take before slings molt?

Thanks!

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My B. Boehmei would always take forever before it molted (usually dug in underground). I don't think you can put a time frame on it, but as long as it looks plump and not dehydrated there should be nothing to worry about.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello! I got a brachypelma boehmei sling a couple of weeks back and it hasn't eaten anything since then. I wonder if it could be in premolt, and if it is, how long does it usually take before slings molt?

Thanks!
Can we see a picture of it? Just because it's refusing food doesn't mean it's in premolt. More webbing than usual, more reclusive behavior, and refusal to eat are just a few things to look for. New World species that possess urticating hairs will often develop a bald spot on the abdomen, which over time will darken until it's almost completely black as they near a molt. Many species will seal themselves inside of their hide when they're about to molt.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with fuzzy. just make sure it has water, and offer food every couple weeks until it eats...not much u can do but wait it out. :) my b. smithi took 2 months to eat when i got her. she was only about an inch dls. she barricaded herself in and i layed a prekilled cricket at her door every week until she took one. been eating like her bellybutton was rubbing a blister on her backbone ever since. :)

Doddis1996

3 Year Member
Here's a picture :)
IMG_1475.JPG

timc

3 Year Member
Aww cute little fella. That sure looks like premolt to me. That bald spot is a dead give away. Keep us updated. Can't wait to see his new suit!

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My 1cm boehmei molted yesterday and its only sign of premolt is refusal of food and staying in one spot. It didn't even have the bald spot or change in coloration of abdomen. Surest sign of the molt was when it finally laid on its back. ;)

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My boehmei molted yesterday and its only sign of premolt is refusal of food and staying in one spot. It didn't even have the bald spot or change in coloration. Surest sign of the molt was when it finally laid on its back. ;)
They don't get bald spots unless they've kicked a lot of hairs.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Any day now for that first little fatty! And I love blue fangs. I used to have an AF and she was NASTY! The gal I sold her to said she came out of the container with a threat pose and a slap. Good luck with your pretty kiddos!