• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sling keeping

gex

3 Year Member
Hey all.
So i was discussing with the parental about keeping Ts again......so if i was to get some slings to try raising, could i put the sling pots in like a small exo terra or a big critter keeper type tank and heat that to keep them all warm....think my room may be a little cool to not heat them. Main concern was 'if their tiny what if they get out'?
Any suggestions would be awesome thx

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep all my sling containers in an ExoTerra so that my cats can't get at them. The great thing about an ExoTerra is that you can put a heatmat underneath and it doesn't touch the bottom of the viv, I also have a thermostat on the heat mat so it doesn't cook them. I do all maintenance, rehousing etc. inside the ExoTerra too so if they escape they don't get far.

gex

3 Year Member
That seems the best idea! Yeah i think thats the way i would go if i get slings.
Are they quite hard to look after being so small? I know i would be better with juvis or adults but if i get some slings....aswell!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They're not hard to keep, depending on species and most little ones tend to burrow to begin with so they are less likely to attempt escape when you open their containers. Avic slings tend to be the most difficult as their care has to be spot on but many species are quite easy.

I love rearing slings as you get to see them grow and develop their adult colours.

gex

3 Year Member
Yeah thts what attracts me to slings. Also im a little scared of spiders (house spiders) if their too big so maybe having a LP sling for example i could see it grow and not just open a box to one hell of a spider sitting in it! No1 wants me to have Ts again cos they dnt get y you would have one. I find them fascinating!

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
I have never heated a sling container personally. I'm not hating, but unless you have a draft or very cold room I don't see the benefit.

gex

3 Year Member
Thanks. Il take the temp in the area im gonna keep them and moniter day n night. Keeping the sling pots in an exo terra will keep them a bit warmer too wont it?

jkill

3 Year Member
I just got my first T's so perhaps someone with more experience should chime in but, I worry about using an under-tank heater. It seems to me that arachnids must have some sort of apparatus (like a humans vestibular system) for determining their orientation and would be hard wired to use it when pursuing thermo-regulation; "I'm too warm, I should burrow." or "I'm to cold I should bask."

I had initially thought to use a thermostatically controlled heating mat myself but was unable to shake the feeling that it would prohibit natural behavior. In the end I used a ceramic element in a hanging lamp, thinking it would provide a temperature gradient more compatible with what the slings would expect. I do like the idea of keeping the enclosures in a larger container but wonder if that wouldn't inhibit ventilation and promote mold/fungus growth.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
@jkill
hi & congrats on getting your first T :)

the heating of Ts is probly the most debated subject of the hobby !!! (as with any thing there are so many diffrent ways to do it)
i wouldnt personaly use under tank heating as there is a couple of things i dont like abought it,
1, if the T gets to hot it will burry, if the heater is under tank it will be moveing closer to the heat source (not a good thing at all)
2, if the enclosure is directly on top of the heat source the substrate will dry out to quick & u wont be able to keep hummidty where u need it.
i havent tryed it the way enn has her set up so i wouldnt tottaly dismiss under tank heating all together just dont put your enclosure
directly on a heat mat !!!

now if u place your heat mat on the back of your enclosure you have all the same advantges as under tank heating but u dont have the two disadvantges i mentiond above, so it just makes sence to put it on the back to me.
all you are looking when heating Ts is an ambient temp, now i keep all my Ts in vivs & i have no problem with mould at all so keeping them in a second enclosure is a big plus as enn said.

IMPORTANT
u should think abought getting rid of that ceramic heater there not suitable for Ts, (there to strong) replace it with a heat mat there mutch safer for your Ts !!! all you are looking when heating Ts is an ambient temp, not giveing them there own sun !!!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of the main things for safety when using a heat mat is to use a thermostat, mine are set at 24 deg C. A stat will prevent the T from cooking and switch off a faulty heat mat before any damage can be done. The Ts that are in wooden vivariums have the heat mats along the back again on stats and none of the containers touch them. I do tend to switch the mats off in summer when the temperatures are higher.