• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should I keep her?

Should I keep this A. anax MF?

• Breed her if she isnt gravid already, then release her.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above.

• All of the above.

• Total voters

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
V__D0E2.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've said keep her. She has more chance of a long, safe life with you than in the wild.
I was thinking the same..my nephew found her in a parking lot next to a highway..and these are burrowers, so the females should rarely be seen, unless theres flooding or something disturbs them and runs them out. Plus, I've always thought not having one of my native spiders was kind of sacrilegious..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Absolutely keep her!

Since getting mine I'm seriously considering another. Absolutely in love with these guys. Nestly has a few pieces of cottonwood bark in there and has a veritable little condo going on and is so nosy and curious, and they're pretty!
What's not to love about a chocolate tarantula!

Warning! Do not lick the chocolate T's!

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Greg rice on YouTube had a mature male which he succesfully breed to 3 wild females before he released it. All three times he had to save the male from being eaten though. Looks like they are quite aggressive towards the males.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I would always be afraid of parasites - especially if she were acting out of character for the species.
I don't want to be a killjoy, and I am not suggesting that you not keep her, but those parasite stories and videos are horrific.
If I were in your shoes, or more appropriately in your house, and lived in a place with a native tarantula population - I would probably have a house full of them. Especially since the Aphonopelma species that you have are some of my absolute favourites.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would always be afraid of parasites - especially if she were acting out of character for the species.
I don't want to be a killjoy, and I am not suggesting that you not keep her, but those parasite stories and videos are horrific.
If I were in your shoes, or more appropriately in your house, and lived in a place with a native tarantula population - I would probably have a house full of them. Especially since the Aphonopelma species that you have are some of my absolute favourites.
I've fallen in love with them. My daughter claims it (my arachnoohobic daughter!)
We need a second one soon as I can afford it. That one will be Hershey lol

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@mass i voted pet her fangs....i dont know why i was the only one....lol!

Breed her and then let us buy some babies!!!!!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very good point. She's quarantined for two weeks while I study her. I've already went over her top side and mouth and butt with a microscope. Looking good so far I need a look at her underside though. She looks a little rough, but all in all, not bad for a parking lot tarantula:p She seems quite healthy.

Latest posts