• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shiz happens...

Wg25

3 Year Member
Hey guys
Like I said in another tread earlier today....I almost lost my B.boehmei today. He is one of my favourite tarantulas and man oh man it would absolutely suck to have him die. But like we all know....these things happen , it's part of the hobby. Since starting the hobby I've had 2 of my T's die....a N.tripepii ( Gaint blonde ) and an Avic avic. It's always awful to lose a tarantula.
So since starting the hobby....Which has been the hardest of all your Tarantulas to say goodbye to?
Mine was definitely my N.tripepii....When I bought him he was the size of a pinhead cricket....and just as he started getting nice and big.....shiz happened. Hehe ;)

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have not yet lost one, had one literally stolen from my room T'giving day.
That doesn't begin to qualify as losing one to the reaper however.
Be an interesting thread though @Wg25 looking forward to reading this one.
(which is why I posted, so i get notifications :p)

Wg25

3 Year Member
Have not yet lost one, had one literally stolen from my room T'giving day.
That doesn't begin to qualify as losing one to the reaper however.
Be an interesting thread though @Wg25 looking forward to reading this one.
(which is why I posted, so i get notifications :p)
Please tell me how the hell someone stole a Tarantula from you??? Wow now I've heard it all! What species was it? Bloody assholes! I've had a snake stolen from me once! Haha :) so it's probably not that strange! ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think the one that affected me most was my son's G. rosea, Mouse, that was bought as a juvi and turned out to be a mature male. He was a great character who loved to box the water when we filled his bowl and adored climbing. We had the pleasure of his company for just 14 months.

The other would be a little Phlogiellus sp. karon, Siam, that developed the shakes within an hour of its arrival and died within 6 hours. It was horrible to watch the poor thing.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Please tell me how the hell someone stole a Tarantula from you??? Wow now I've heard it all! What species was it? Bloody assholes! I've had a snake stolen from me once! Haha :) so it's probably not that strange! ;)
I swear it, My G.rosea, yeah, I know was just a rosea, but dammit it was MY rosea :(
Ok, thanksgiving day my son and I ran to the store, had no butter lol crazy I know but there was none ,
so we rushed to the store, Had like 15 minutes to get there as early close due to holiday.
I had tended my T's at 5 am that morning,
I check and double check them each time I open an enclosure as I have 3 large cats. So, I watered and fed everyone.
closed everyone back up and made sure the shelf was neat.
I came back from the store to find a bunch of folks at the house. Did the chit chat thing etc etc.
I went into my room to use the bathroom and glanced at my desk.
My rosea's enclosure was opened sitting on the mouse pad,
her hide and water dish placed on the mousepad as well,
the only other thing missing was a vial on the shelf that had her molt in it.
Two of the younger folks that had been here were folks that had repeatedly asked me to gift them a T.
Irresponsible kids who run around expecting a free ride in everything, So, I had told them no.
I have a very good idea of who did it, as he's conspicuous in his absence when normally he's here daily.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I swear it, My G.rosea, yeah, I know was just a rosea, but dammit it was MY rosea :(
Ok, thanksgiving day my son and I ran to the store, had no butter lol crazy I know but there was none ,
so we rushed to the store, Had like 15 minutes to get there as early close due to holiday.
I check and double check them each time I open an enclosure as I have 3 large cats. So, I watered and fed everyone.
I came back from the store to find a bunch of folks at the house. Did the chit chat thing etc etc.
Two of the younger folks that had been here were folks that had repeatedly asked me to gift them a T.
Irresponsible kids who run around expecting a free ride in everything, So, I had told them no.
I have a very good idea of who did it, as he's conspicuous in his absence when normally he's here daily.
I'd confront them. sounds like they need some extra parenting, or maybe some good old fashioned discipline like when we were kids ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As for me, i haven't lost a T yet, knock on wood, throw salt, etc.

Starting to wonder about my rosea PITA though, and the avic, but hopefully the avic will eat a mealworm tonight as she hasn't shown an interest in the lateralis roaches.

Wg25

3 Year Member
I think the one that affected me most was my son's G. rosea, Mouse, that was bought as a juvi and turned out to be a mature male. He was a great character who loved to box the water when we filled his bowl and adored climbing. We had the pleasure of his company for just 14 months.

The other would be a little Phlogiellus sp. karon, Siam, that developed the shakes within an hour of its arrival and died within 6 hours. It was horrible to watch the poor thing.
It's a horrible feeling when you can see a tarantula is sick and can do nothing about it! I can totally relate! ;)

Wg25

3 Year Member
That's really immature and ftup of someone to do... hope it grew up to be a psycho rosie ;)

SasyStace

3 Year Member

OOoh no no no... search warrant time. hahahahahaha

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've lost one MM porteri, during a breeding session. One juvie/subadult female versicolor to unknown causes. One baby freebie Lp in the mail, two campbridgei slings in the mail. And the first spider to die on me, a MM stirmi that had played out his hand. He was the worst, I think. He used to stridulate at me when I opened his enclosure to do maintenance or feed him, I always got a kick out of that. I miss that fella, he was cool. The versi was bad too, because she looked gorgeous, perfect, plump and healthy when she died, just smaller than her siblings. And the MM porteri...well, if you've ever had one of your tarantulas eat the other, you know how horrible that is. And she slurped on him for like 3 days, which made it worse >.< Have you ever seen a tarantula sized bolus? legs sticking out? Not cool. Not cool at all.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok I rescind my earlier post, had double sling doa. Did Not consider it as losing one in my care as they never made it to my actual care.
heart breaking none the less.

Wg25

3 Year Member
I've lost one MM porteri, during a breeding session. One juvie/subadult female versicolor to unknown causes. One baby freebie Lp in the mail, two campbridgei slings in the mail. And the first spider to die on me, a MM stirmi that had played out his hand. He was the worst, I think. He used to stridulate at me when I opened his enclosure to do maintenance or feed him, I always got a kick out of that. I miss that fella, he was cool. The versi was bad too, because she looked gorgeous, perfect, plump and healthy when she died, just smaller than her siblings. And the MM porteri...well, if you've ever had one of your tarantulas eat the other, you know how horrible that is. And she slurped on him for like 3 days, which made it worse >.< Have you ever seen a tarantula sized bolus? legs sticking out? Not cool. Not cool at all.
Oh man it had to suck to lose a female versicolor. And I can't imagine one of my T's eating one another. Even if it is part of nature.And that bolus was probably disgusting....but at least the female had a bit of a protein shake ;)

Bugmom

3 Year Member
The hardest was Bertha. She was the tarantula that reminded me why I like spiders so much, and kicked off my interest in keeping more than just one. A big female Aphonopelma hentzi. She was gorgeous. But she was probably old when I found her (in my front yard, flicking hairs at my idiot dogs), and I had her for about a year and a half before she died.

The other would be my M. balfouri. But that stupid thing was on death's door the entire time I had it, after I bought it (at an expo). So it's death wasn't too shocking to me. But that was an $80 spider :mad:

Wg25

3 Year Member
The hardest was Bertha. She was the tarantula that reminded me why I like spiders so much, and kicked off my interest in keeping more than just one. A big female Aphonopelma hentzi. She was gorgeous. But she was probably old when I found her (in my front yard, flicking hairs at my idiot dogs), and I had her for about a year and a half before she died.

The other would be my M. balfouri. But that stupid thing was on death's door the entire time I had it, after I bought it (at an expo). So it's death wasn't too shocking to me. But that was an $80 spider :mad:
Did Bertha ever molt in that year and a half that you had her? Just wondering if she was conformable enough to molt after being in the wild most of her life. I bought my Avic avic for R450 which is about $30...doesn't sound like a lot but believe me in South-Africa it's a lot of money! Half of her body was eaten by a f☆ck!ng cricket while she was busy molting!!! Believe me when I say I was absolutely furious!!! Gave that cricket a painful death sentence!!! Hahaha And do expos have a bad reputation when it comes to the health of their tarantulas???

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did Bertha ever molt in that year and a half that you had her? Just wondering if she was conformable enough to molt after being in the wild most of her life. I bought my Avic avic for R450 which is about $30...doesn't sound like a lot but believe me in South-Africa it's a lot of money! Half of her body was eaten by a f☆ck!ng cricket while she was busy molting!!! Believe me when I say I was absolutely furious!!! Gave that cricket a painful death sentence!!! Hahaha And do expos have a bad reputation when it comes to the health of their tarantulas???
my guess, since i haven't been to an expo for inverts yet, is they're like any other expo. You got the respectable people there, and a few of the slime that shouldn't be raising anything trying to pawn off their rejects to the unwary, and of course, the 1 off situations.

I'm hoping to attend my first expo this summer but they haven't posted an official date or location yet. Knowing my luck it will be the weekend of the family reunion around memorial day, and i'll be way up in the mountains somewhere.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wish they would have one near me, that would be an amazing experience even if I was unable to buy anything :)

Latest posts