• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing my M balfouri sling -- Maxine or Max??

Male or female

• Total voters

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got my M balfouri on his or her first feeding video, which is still being compressed to upload to YouTube. I'm using my S8 Galaxy note to do this. It's a great phone but the video started life 1.5 gigs.

After getting the video, the sling started reacting to the light and stuck it's rear end in the air for a potential perfect series of ventral shots. I haven't been able to capture any interact molts but I think it's the perfect angle.

You know what's in my signature, but I want an honest opinion as to sex. It's still immature probably only 1/3rd it's adult size at the most, probably more like 1/4th adult size.

Anyway, I'm prepared for the news either way. There does appear to be some sort of fold between the book lungs but it isn't really pronounced all that much.
M balfouri help sexing 4.jpg
M balfouri help sexing 1.jpg
M balfouri help sexing 2.jpg
M balfouri help sexing 3.jpg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think possibly female (emphasis on possibly), until you get a decent molt one can never be 100% sure.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are these guys sexually dimorphic by color?

In some photos, the males look brighter, but they have the same overall pattern.
That I am not sure about since I have never owned any (going to buy some, likely in April), but I think they likely are not.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My balfouri was my first OW T. She's? wonderful regardless of what sex she turns out to be. I'm still waiting for the feeding video to upload. I shrink it to 720p and it's still taking forever!!

To be continued.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Hey, sorry for the delay.

I've bred balfouri more than any other species, and I still have a really hard time ventral sexing the little boogers. I'd lean male, but it may just be the angle. I also see a sort of space that may be a feminine pouchy thing... so all that to say, "I dunno, wait for a molt, but Max works for now!" Maybe Kezy the wizard will be able to help more.

If it's any comfort, I have like 5 juvies about 3" DLS and I still haven't vent-sexed them. I'm so bad with balfouri.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The color scheme seems female with the white carapace not blue but males may not get that until they are older.

Either way, I'm happy. They're a great spider...almost easy enough to be ones first tarantula....almost but for the speed.

Either way, next molt I'm going to rehouse her into a 3 gallon Terra Blue enclosure. She's already bigger then my L Klugi was when I placed her there.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With each molt, the time she spends outside increases. Lots of slings burrow.

In terms of displaying, nothing I have can beat my Lasiodora Klugi. She hangs out in plain sight upon frogmoss almost 24/7.

Latest posts