• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing by molt

dryinidae1

New Member
Messages
6
Location
South Carolina
I have my 4th molt of Omothymus violaceopes soaking so I can try to sex it. I can see the spinnerets on the end of the abdomen but it looks all twisted up. I have some very fine insect pins and extremely fine tweezers to use. How delicate will it be to untwist and open up
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

dryinidae1

New Member
Messages
6
Location
South Carolina
No I had no problems checking the molt I OFFICIALLY HAVE A FEMALE!!! A little bit hard to see in the image but the spermathecae are there; especially the left side as it is backlit. Using my phone through my microscope eyepiece was next to impossible!!! But I got the shot. If you disagree please chime in. Because now my next project is coming up with a male!
 

Attachments

  • 26C68B02-C625-4DBA-BB2E-285DE26B84E7.jpeg
    26C68B02-C625-4DBA-BB2E-285DE26B84E7.jpeg
    790.4 KB · Views: 11

dryinidae1

New Member
Messages
6
Location
South Carolina
Congrats!
Many on Arachnoboard questioned my first choice when I introduced myself there, but I really have a well thought out plan. I was hoping to beat the odds and end up with a female( I read 70% +/- of slings are male and it makes sense given their life cycles). As luck would have it, I did(kudos to “Fear Not Tarantulas“)!! I just bought two more slings of the same spp. How unbelievably unlucky could I be now to get two more females!! Just got a 18X12X12 tall enclosure for my female and am currently looking for a piece of wood with a hollow about 12” off the ground. Despite everything I have ever heard or read of this spp being photosensitive, mine is not and since it’s last molt and rehousing it is out of its tunnel most all day and night chilling on a log. Does have a f… you attitude though!! I figure a year or so raising the next slings and attempting a pairing when one matures. I will never have more than a couple of them and will probably always be Old World. I’m leaning large arboreal again. I have enough issues with itchy eyes and skin rashes that periodically flair up. F… the urticating hairs. Image from about 9/20 just after the fourth molt. Saturation was slightly adjusted to bring out the purple as this was the first time I actually saw color on it.
 

Attachments

  • 5A17F5B8-0C86-4B02-8054-A209C742C354.jpeg
    5A17F5B8-0C86-4B02-8054-A209C742C354.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Top