• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sdsnybny's breeding success

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
My Psalmopoeus cambridgei double clutched
2019-09-28 18.21.20.jpg

Random luck on this one, but I'll take it!!
Euthycaelus colonica Simon, 1889
Received this beautiful dwarf from an European import, unbeknownst to me many of the females in the shipment were paired and the shipper forgot which ones were which so they didst get marked. She went to ground as soon as I got her and haven't seen her since. Yesterday I noticed her burrow was open and went to see her new dress. Nope a bunch of 1st/2nd instar babies all around mom in the tunnel. there is now nylon stocking around the enclosure to prevent escapees
View attachment 40110 View attachment 40109 View attachment 40111 View attachment 40112
Can you tell me about the stocking. I have a 1 inch sling I want to move into a better enclosure but I am afraid the ventilation holes are too big. Can I put a stocking the way you have it to prevent an escape ?

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Can you tell me about the stocking. I have a 1 inch sling I want to move into a better enclosure but I am afraid the ventilation holes are too big. Can I put a stocking the way you have it to prevent an escape ?
That will work but I would only do it temporary. The 1st instar to 2nd instar they are not as active. After that the 2nd instar and above could chew through the nylon stocking.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Tore mu Heterothele villosella communal down two days ago after spotting the largest member carrying an egg sac. Wasnt quite ready for 145 tiny slings wandering about the half gallon food canister.
Started with 17 1/8" spiderlings in a 2oz condiment cup ended up wit 9 left 1 confirmed female, 1 MM, 4 suspect girls and 3 suspect boys all about 1.5-2" not bad for just over a year.

2019-12-02 10.50.28.jpg
2019-12-02 11.19.40.jpg
2019-12-02 14.37.26.jpg
2019-12-03 09.57.10.jpg
2019-12-03 09.57.16.jpg

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tore mu Heterothele villosella communal down two days ago after spotting the largest member carrying an egg sac. Wasnt quite ready for 145 tiny slings wandering about the half gallon food canister.
Started with 17 1/8" spiderlings in a 2oz condiment cup ended up wit 9 left 1 confirmed female, 1 MM, 4 suspect girls and 3 suspect boys all about 1.5-2" not bad for just over a year.

View attachment 42304View attachment 42305View attachment 42306View attachment 42307View attachment 42308
Sounds like very good progress.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Is there an upper limit on how many you could put in a communal, or are you only limited by the size of the enclosure?

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
You actually want to keep the quarters as tight as possible that way they don't ever set up there own territories. Then gradually move them up in size. I started all 17 in a 2-3oz condiment cup till it was no longer safe to open it up and toss in 20 pinhead red runners. They got to be about1/2-3/4" then I moved them up to the last container Its about 1/2 gallon

2019-12-02 10.50.55.jpg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Does that mean that someone could raise an entire sac worth of slings in a communal if they scaled up the enclosure correctly to take into account the increased numbers but making sure they don't have too much room to establish individual territories? This is all hypothetical. I'm just interested.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Does that mean that someone could raise an entire sac worth of slings in a communal if they scaled up the enclosure correctly to take into account the increased numbers but making sure they don't have too much room to establish individual territories? This is all hypothetical. I'm just interested.
Yes but naturally there would be losses, Many mother tarantulas will kill and feed the young till they are strong enough to leave on there own.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club

Latest posts