• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sanitizing wood for tarantula enclosure

210archnofreak

3 Year Member
Found some wood around my house I was thinking of using to put in my Avic's enclosure. I was wondering if anybody knew what would be the best way to sanitize it?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Found some wood around my house I was thinking of using to put in my Avic's enclosure. I was wondering if anybody knew what would be the best way to sanitize it?
I have read of several ways to accomplish this. Putting in a microwave oven on high for as long as 10 minutes. Baking in an oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes to an hour. Drawback to these methods is the odor that can be emitted. If you can't get cork bark slabs or tubes, cholla cactus wood is an excellent substitute. Push comes to shove, I would use a 5 gallon bucket of water with 1 cup laundry bleach. Completely submerged with lid on and allow to soak 10-14 days. Remove wood and thoroughly rinse with hot water, allow to completely dry. I used this method on some awesome driftwood and had no problems.
Just my suggestions, hope it helps.