• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rose Hair Bite

Ms.Vicious

3 Year Member
My brother had a tarantula a few years back and it had bit him. I guess he forgot he lived with us because he keeps saying his whole arm turned black and he couldn't move it for weeks. (Bull crap lie) I just want some knowledge on how bad a bite from a rose hair really is and maybe some pics :)

spazz

3 Year Member
Well, I don't have any pics myself, but it would take a bite from something like a brown recluse to do something like that. And lets just say, for the sake of argument, that his arm did turn black and he couldn't move it, that would mean it had died, and without proper medical treatment, and in the case of anything that serious, amputation, so would he.

G. rosea is not known for biting. I couldn't even find a pic of one on google.

This page shows a bite from a T on some guys thumb.

This is the effect from brown recluse bite. You tell me which one you want to get a love nip from.
4453-4474-10729-42550.jpg

This is a brown recluse BTW.
images

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From my reading, most bites from Grammostola species are typically not medically significant. They may swell a bit, and itch like mad, but unless you are allergic it shouldn't be an issue.

Ms.Vicious

3 Year Member
thank you. When it happened he had three bite wounds in a triangle pattern and a bruise around it, which would be typical right? But he insists he had a dead arm and it was black, but now you cant even see a scar.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A small bruise and swelling sounds about right, less he had an adverse reaction to the venom, which would have been hives, wheezing, etc...

Ms.Vicious

3 Year Member
Thank you for your input, I just wanted to be safe, and sorry if this sounds shallow but also prove my brother a liar, sorry. Sibling rivalry :D

spazz

3 Year Member
Thank you for your input, I just wanted to be safe, and sorry if this sounds shallow but also prove my brother a liar, sorry. Sibling rivalry :D
Nothing wrong with being a little shallow now and then. Safe you are, very perfectly so. See that T on my head over there, that's my G. Rosea. I am not about to put something on my head that can turn it black and leave me unable to move it for months... :p

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't be so sure of that. Some fellows in another forum I follow got into a pissing contest about who was ballsy enough to handle the most poisonous specie, which culminated with a pic of one of the guys holding a Death Stalker. It's people like that that give the hobby a bad name.

spazz

3 Year Member
Don't be so sure of that. Some fellows in another forum I follow got into a pissing contest about who was ballsy enough to handle the most poisonous specie, which culminated with a pic of one of the guys holding a Death Stalker. It's people like that that give the hobby a bad name.
I'm not surprised at all. I have seen similar things with hot snakes.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A bite from a Rose,( yes they do bite often) is comparable to a bee sting, just a little more painful.

Ms.Vicious

3 Year Member
It shows the don't really care about the animal, and that's a shame. They are such beautiful creatures. :)

Latest posts