• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rocks in enclosures/fall damage??

Solsurfer

Yeah like those giant concrete fireplaces that put out warmth long after the fire is gone. I havent seen one of those pizza things in years took me sec to think of what they were. Yeah that would leave alot more space for a burrow than the rocks i would normally put under the limestone or slate i use a dab of hot glue sometimes just for added safety. That weight ads up quick too. end up with a 40 lb tank quick.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rocks can hold heat efficiently & you want to make sure there's no hot spot on our under them. I've tested this myself and decided not to use them unless they're in the water dish & then only one.

Cork bark and half round wood seems to be a better choice. Plastic plants are also good.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A couple of things -
- I was watching "Deadly 60" and the host put on infrared goggles to show what a rattlesnake sees at night and what stood out was all the rocks glowed with stored heat, so that theory is pretty sound.
- I steal rocks all the time, the local council kindly provide fresh Bluestone and limestone for my tanks from time to time.
- In some of my scorpion tanks I have polished stones, looking close up you can see that there are always drops of condensation on them even if the substrate feels dry, some drink from them and some stand on them daily, usually in the mornings.
- Not about animals falling on them but the other way around, I collect the little plastic "barbie doll tables" that come with a pizza and use them under rocks so there is no chance they can fall if burrowed under too enthusiastically. I place them on the bottom of the enclosure, add substrate and then put the rock in place, even if they remove all the substrate under the rock there is no way it can collapse on top of them.

The vibration theory sounds good too, combined with the stored heat rocks must be almost irresistible to Tarantulas .

I have no experience with animals falling onto a rock and being hurt so I can't add much in respect to that though.
I realised I should probably elaborate on using the pizza "spacers?".
I add substrate, compressing it as I add it, then once it is the height of the spacers I press them in until the legs sit on the bottom of the enclosure, add the rocks making sure they are sitting sturdy , then add the rest of the substrate. I used to do as I do in aquariums and make structures using smaller rocks as pylons to hold the larger rocks up to form caves. That adds a lot to the weight, in an aquarium this is okay because you never move a full aquarium but in a little enclosure it adds to the weight dramatically.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If there is space under the spacers, expect them to use that area. If the spacers are solid and the rocks sit on them or are held on with Velcro etc, no problem.

Tarantulas excel at finding space and dirt under solid things & if they are terrestrial, just love digging under stuff. Of course, a Hobbit house with a stone roof partially buried would really look cool !!

I'd make double triple sure that collapse is impossible. The more compressed the dirt is, the better they like to dig under it.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If there is space under the spacers, expect them to use that area. If the spacers are solid and the rocks sit on them or are held on with Velcro etc, no problem.

Tarantulas excel at finding space and dirt under solid things & if they are terrestrial, just love digging under stuff. Of course, a Hobbit house with a stone roof partially buried would really look cool !!

I'd make double triple sure that collapse is impossible. The more compressed the dirt is, the better they like to dig under it.
I'm not sure that you're understanding exactly what I'm referring to, or perhaps they are different where you are. The spacers look like little Caffè tables or round outdoor tables , a flat top with three or four legs. So they can dig out all of the substrate but the top of the spacer will always be flush with the bottom of the rock, no gap, and the legs will always be sitting on the bottom of the enclosure. You need to arrange it so that the rock will sit safely on top of the "tables" regardless of whether substrate is there or not.

Last edited:

Solsurfer

Yeah rock pilons that's how I have done the cave . What about like a custom clay cave that could be pretty cool . I understood what you meant about the setup and it sounds safe enough to me . If a creature goes out of its way to kill itself by rock there's a reason for that... Natural selection. Btw to feed and water I do have to move those tanks every time . We have limited space to say the least, there are tanks stacked 3 high in some places. On a shelf that's about chest level. I don't mind moving them but I get a bad feeling about that weight on the glass bottom.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah rock pilons that's how I have done the cave . What about like a custom clay cave that could be pretty cool . I understood what you meant about the setup and it sounds safe enough to me . If a creature goes out of its way to kill itself by rock there's a reason for that... Natural selection. Btw to feed and water I do have to move those tanks every time . We have limited space to say the least, there are tanks stacked 3 high in some places. On a shelf that's about chest level. I don't mind moving them but I get a bad feeling about that weight on the glass bottom.
Yeah I don't move mine, and some are heavy as hell from all the rocks and hides.

Solsurfer

I just need front opening terrestrial enclosures. The arboreal ones i make open from the front so dont need to be moved. I seriously work up a sweat by the time I'm done feeding if I'm in a hurry .

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A table with 4 legs and a rock on top? That's what I thought.

Yep, they'll dig under it for sure. Hills and valleys tend to appear in tarantula cages on a regular basis. They don't always have common sense or usability in mind!! ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A table with 4 legs and a rock on top? That's what I thought.

Yep, they'll dig under it for sure. Hills and valleys tend to appear in tarantula cages on a regular basis. They don't always have common sense or usability in mind!! ;)
What Dave is saying is, even if they dig, it's stable. A tarantula wont move a heavy rock, resting firmly on stilts, it cant be undermined.

Latest posts