• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reptisand for geckos??

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
I just got a new leopard gecko and bought a zoo med complete set up. It come with repti sand and I have read that sand isn't good. So what is better to use? I may just use paper towels at first but would coco fiber be ok?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd just use some news paper or reptile carpet. Even paper towel. Maybe a little moss in their humid hide but that's it. I'm far from pro on these guys, but honestly the sands not worth it IMPO.
Nothing they could get into their mouths and possibly get impacted with is a good idea

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
@Kymura I agree. Don't want to take any chances. I put down some paper towels until I can get a mat. I also forgot a hide so I cut the empty paper towel roll in half and put it in there for tonight. He is so small I think I am going to call him Wee One.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Kymura I agree. Don't want to take any chances. I put down some paper towels until I can get a mat. I also forgot a hide so I cut the empty paper towel roll in half and put it in there for tonight. He is so small I think I am going to call him Wee One.
Awww! that's cute :) picture of this baby yet?

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
Here is Wee One...
Wee one.png

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome! my son is looking at getting one from a friend that is moving and can't take it with them. From what i've been reading you don't want to use reptisand at all. It's got added calcium and can cause impactions. Coco fiber and peat mix, like we use for our T's is fine, or just straight coco fiber.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
actually that gets into their mouth too, newspaper or paper toweling or the repti carpet is how Id go. way less chance of an issue.

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
I was doing some reading today and from a breeders website they say use paper until the gecko is 5-6" long then put fine playsand in the tank. Juvi and adult geckos don't have the impaction problem. I think the website was geckosetc.com

Latest posts