• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehousing miss Karma....

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK because I can never share my arachnids with anyone at home, I'm sharing a little story here.
So, thought I'd share the joys of a pms adult porteri gal. Received her as a surprise gift in a tank with bark chip substrate, screen top a super shallow water dish with a half round wooden hide. About an inch of sub maybe. She looked heavy premolt so I filled her tank half way up with sub but waited to move her.
She at this point is sweet calm and relatively passive.
OK so, molt happens successfully, I leave her to rest, calm and quiet, keep her crappie water dish full and generally allow her to harden up. Shoot ahead A couple weeks... I go to fill her water dish and she charges from on top of her hide and attacks the water., I see shiny black fangs so I feed her, she eats her fill (3 large crickets /she had been fed exclusively mealworms before I got her)
Next day I open her tank for water & bolus clean up, she greets me with a full blown threat pose dripping venom, being me, I laugh. Ask her what she thinks she's going to do. She declines to answer so I use the long tongs and attempt to clean her enclosure. She immediately attacks the tongs. Herding her back gently with the brush had her climbing it slapping at me. Naturally I block her with the tongs and let her have the brush. My daughter at this point is screaming drop it drop it! (I didn't, I laid it down carefully I'll take the bite before I hurt her) anyway....She has been that way every day since. OBT has nothing on Karma other then venom potency.
Today, I get things ready, take a deep breath cup and brush in hand, open her enclosure to see her doing spider yoga and grooming herself. I lightly touch her leg, (with brush) she stretches it out and ever so slowly, turns. Explores it and goes back to grooming. I touch her abdomen and she obliges me by taking a step. Well not wanting to stress her cupping her. I lay my palm down, she immediately steps up. I move her to her new enclosure, she enters and explores. Eats the offered cricket. Calm and happily stuffing her face. Went to peek at her just a moment ago and she again is pissy as hell. Maybe I'm a little psycho too but I absolutely adore this damn spider!
She's big and pretty and not a pet rock for sure lol
image.jpg

In her new digs-
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Yeti got moved as well.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Very nice! My wife actually likes our A. avic more bc she's got "spunk" as my wife puts it. Doesn't have anything on your pms'ing Karma :D

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
That's awesome. You won the lottery!!!!! You got the 1 in 1000, highly prized devil porteri.
I couldn't imagine mine acting like that. She gently crawls on me, and cuddles and curls and sleeps. Never thought about attacking or threat posing

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's awesome. You won the lottery!!!!! You got the 1 in 1000, highly prized devil porteri.
I couldn't imagine mine acting like that. She gently crawls on me, and cuddles and curls and sleeps. Never thought about attacking or threat posing
My other adult porteri, Yeti, is a little skittish when you first open her enclosure but otherwise sweet 99% of the time. Two totally different spiders. Love both of them but I have to admit to being just a little more drawn to the attitude of Miss Karma :p

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
My other adult porteri, Yeti, is a little skittish when you first open her enclosure but otherwise sweet 99% of the time. Two totally different spiders. Love both of them but I have to admit to being just a little more drawn to the attitude of Miss Karma :p
I'm the same way, lol. Their additude, scary to some, melts my heart

Latest posts