• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Regal jumping spider slings

jay17

3 Year Member
Just one of the jumpers has molted into a very distinctive tan/orange colour!

20180531_095256-1.jpg

20180531_095457-1.jpg

20180531_095253-1.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used to watch jumping spiders watching me when I was a kid. Had them all around my house. I would catch bugs to feed to them. Had a few take flies right from my fingers.

Loved this thread.
I had a Phidipus audax live out its life in my kitchen, had him around a year. He took moths out of my fingers regularly. He actually can take credit for being my first pet spider. Free range pet :) But he always went back to his web tent in the upper corner. Ever since, I'm always welcoming to most true spiders, but they dont stick around.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very interesting! Great pictures too.
I'd never thought about keeping Jumping Spiders as pets, the ones I see are so tiny, I always liked them though and run for the camera if there's a particularly nice looking one but I rarely get good pics, they're too small and fast for my camera.
077.JPG
This one jumped on my mouse pad while sitting outside a few years ago.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very interesting! Great pictures too.
I'd never thought about keeping Jumping Spiders as pets, the ones I see are so tiny, I always liked them though and run for the camera if there's a particularly nice looking one but I rarely get good pics, they're too small and fast for my camera.View attachment 30248 This one jumped on my mouse pad while sitting outside a few years ago.
Ha! Good looking little guy, bold colors. You mentioned all y'alls jumping spiders are small..thats an adult? We have some small species but theres several that get good sized, maybe US quarter sized? and bulky. The local audax males have big popeye front legs, they're cool when they threat posture (from me harassing them trying to pick them up..they refuse to sit still..)

jay17

3 Year Member
@Dave Jay, jumpers make great pets! They're incredibly curious and sometimes even seem to want to interact with you, each one has its own personality and they rarely miss a feed. Phids are the most popular as pets because of their size and temperament, so if you're interested in keeping jumpers as pets I'd look into those guys

@Mass Exodus, your bold jumper sounds very cute!

Updates... A couple more have developed into tan/orange forms, some are more matt black and the majority have remained a brown colour. A couple became aggressive towards others so I've begun to separate them out as best as I can. The black and white individuals seem to be more skittish whereas the tans are more laid-back, and the browns are the most active and usually the first to feed.

20180601_155137-1.jpg

20180531_194405-1.jpg

20180605_194019-1.jpg

20180528_174702-1.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Updates... A couple more have developed into tan/orange forms, some are more matt black and the majority have remained a brown colour. A couple became aggressive towards others so I've begun to separate them out as best as I can. The black and white individuals seem to be more skittish whereas the tans are more laid-back, and the browns are the most active and usually the first to feed.

20180601_155137-1.jpg

20180531_194405-1.jpg

20180605_194019-1.jpg

20180528_174702-1.jpg

The way I understand it the males stay black and white but the females develop more colour.

Latest posts