• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recommended bedding

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm new to tarantulas and I have a question. A buddy of mine has a Mexican Red Knee and uses Zoo Med Forest Floor. I was thinking of getting a Red Knee but that bedding looks a little coarse. I have been reading that the Forest Floor is a good one to use. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanx.

Steve S.

Last edited:

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
The most popular substrate Is coco fibre, suitable for all Ts whatever their size. You can buy it ready to use or in blocks which need to Be soaked then dried out before use.
Welcome to the forum btw.:)
Thanx for the reply. I was given a large bag of the Forest Floor. Any experience with that stuff? Also, is there an advantage of the coco fibre in bricks over the ready-to-use coco? It seems that the bricks are an extra step, everything else being equal. Thanx again.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've never used Forest Floor although I did try something similar called Spider Life that was fine for the larger Ts but too coarse for slings. I think if I only had 1 or 2 Ts I'd probably buy the ready to use coco fibre. The only time you'll need to replace the substrate is if you're rehousing to a larger container.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I've never used Forest Floor although I did try something similar called Spider Life that was fine for the larger Ts but too coarse for slings. I think if I only had 1 or 2 Ts I'd probably buy the ready to use coco fibre. The only time you'll need to replace the substrate is if you're rehousing to a larger container.
Gotcha. I found some of the ready-to-use coco fiber locally. I think I'll try that first. Thanx for the tip.

ALD

3 Year Member
I use coco fiber- for T's I don't use the brick- I buy the bag so I don't have to worry about drying it out after it's hydrated,
I don't have any experience with Forest Floor. I use Eco Earth for all critters I have,

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use the bricks, they're just over $2 Australian, the only thing with them is you need to prepare them ahead of time. I pour about 2 litres of water in and leave it at least overnight. At first the outside is saturated, but it will even out until the whole block is just slightly damp when left long enough. Usually overnight is enough that it can all be crumbled. The trick is to wait and not add more water. Whatever is left over I keep in a bucket with the lid left open until it dries.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh , and you should add the coco peat bit by bit and firm it down hard as you go so that it will hold burrows, even non burrowing species don't like a loose surface to walk on.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Coco fiber is best in my opinion, that is all I use for my collection of 23 (soon to be 30).

AncientExotics

3 Year Member
I currently use a mixture of sphagnum peat moss, vermiculite and perlite. The last two additions allow water to drain through the bottom when sprayed, but since you’re thinking about getting a red knee, maintaining high humidity really is not a concern. Welcome to the forum! Make sure to post pics of your new addition.

Latest posts