• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Received my second T - Rose Hair

johnthecage

3 Year Member
Hey everyone, I had a bad experience with my first T I got at a reptile show and I just received my second. This is the enclosure it came in, any advice would be great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    936.2 KB · Views: 18

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Did it die?
That enclosure is TEENY for that T; barely room for it to turn around. Are you sure that wasn't just the take-home container or did the seller say it was fine in that? Not saying size had anything to do w/ a death if a death actually occurred.... But that's really small.
I'm getting a 2 1/2 gallon for a 2" sling in a few weeks & am moving a similarly sized T in a 12" cube...neither of which will be permanent homes. They'll have Appropriate substrate & depth, appropriate hides...
I'd give a full grown Rosie a ten gallon aquarium myself. EcoEarth about 5" deep (maybe deeper to decrease dangerous heights), faux plants for aesthetics, shallow water dish, driftwood &/or cork, a starter burrow...
I love doing vivaria! My tarantulas are display pets, like fish, only so much less upkeep.

johnthecage

3 Year Member
My mistake, I should have specified. I just received that T when I posted on the forums that is just it's holding tank. I have an older 10 gallon tank I am currently cleaning out and getting ready for the Rosie to go in. Just curious on whether or not I should wait a certain amount of time to move the T since I just got it a few hours ago.

The one that died was one I bought at a show I posted a month or so ago, that was a pink toe.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats...she a beauty! :)

I agree that the enclosure is too small, and you'll want to replace those wood chips with dry coco fiber or peat. If you use a 10 gallon, be sure to put enough substrate in it to keep it from being harmed during a fall. Rosies will try to climb, and they are NOT very good at it!

I wouldn't worry about rehousing her now; she'll adjust.

Glad to see that you jumped back in after your avic. :)

Latest posts