• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rare Ts

fuzzylover

I was wondering what are the most rare tarantulas in everyone’s collection? Mine is an avicularia minitrix but all my other ts are pretty common.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was wondering what are the most rare tarantulas in everyone’s collection? Mine is an avicularia minitrix but all my other ts are pretty common.
I’ve had quite a few over the years:

Eucratoscelus pachypus
Homoeomma orellanai
Tliltocatl schroederi
Psalmopoeus langenbucheri
Harpactira dictator
Hererothele gabonensis
the former Homoeomma chilensis
The former Phrixotrichus scrofa

I think that’s all the rare species I had, that list might expand after I go to the expo on Sunday.

caretaker

3 Year Member
I Have to say
most all of mine are pretty common. I have a couple GBBs, a nice pair of P. auratus and three very nervous P. sazimai. Waiting to be rehoused from the current shoe boxes into something deeper. I have a nice C. cyaneus that's not really rare but that I like quite a lot.
I do have a (half inch and growing) H. Orellanai. A survivor. One of a group of three tiny little slings that made it.
This one seems to be doing just great! Not super rare? But valuable to me . And costly enough when I consider the cost of the group of three. My most costly thus far.
None the less probably my favorite!
Cheers

Attachments

• 20230920_123214.jpg
    20230920_123214.jpg
    993.7 KB · Views: 9

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have to say I am not 100% sure what is rare.

I have Homoeomma chilensis & Tliltocatl schroederi mentioned above. We also have Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica, which I believe is rare in the wild & a Poecilotheria metallica which I belive is the most endangered T.

I also have Chaetopelma olivaceum & Selenocosmia crassipes which are far from rare, but hardly ever mentioned within the hobby.

fuzzylover

I have to say I am not 100% sure what is rare.

I have Homoeomma chilensis & Tliltocatl schroederi mentioned above. We also have Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica, which I believe is rare in the wild & a Poecilotheria metallica which I belive is the most endangered T.

I also have Chaetopelma olivaceum & Selenocosmia crassipes which are far from rare, but hardly ever mentioned within the hobby.
By rare I mean hard to find

GarField000

3 Year Member
Hard to get is also where are you from.
H.chilensis is very hard to find here. (I have adult female and a juvi).
Also new names show up that are new for me like the Thrixopelma ockerti. But when one big breeder has a sack the most will have them later for sale.
I'm trying to get a Brachypelma baumgarteni but no breeder has them.
Different Aphonopelma are rare here, but in the US you can find them in your garden :D

Hard to get is also where are you from.
I have been looking for an A. Chalcodes for almost 2 years now. And by the time I hear someone has some, they are already gone or accounted for when I contact them. Seems like they would be all over the place here in the US but no one bothers since I guess they can't make money on such a "Common" Tarantula that apparently isn't so common.

Jeef

3 Year Member
I have been looking for an A. Chalcodes for almost 2 years now. And by the time I hear someone has some, they are already gone or accounted for when I contact them. Seems like they would be all over the place here in the US but no one bothers since I guess they can't make money on such a "Common" Tarantula that apparently isn't so common.
I couldn't find a G. pulchra for the longest time. Everyone had G. pulchripies, which I wasn't interested in. I finally scored one, then the next year at the expo, everyone had them. Same goes for A. henzii. This year, I'm in the market for a G. pulchripies, so we'll see what happens.

As an aside, last two years at that expo, everyone had A. chalcodes.

Another thing to factor in is if you want a sling vs a juvie vs an adult.

Latest posts