• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry, I'm at work, got distracted. As far as molting, this little female molted every few months, regularly, but she is NOT a fast grower, as people describe genics. She's medium, I think. She might speed up if I raise temps, but my T room is my bedroom and stays at 75.
Also, both my little and adult genic likes moist substrate. You won't see it mentioned much, but they are more moisture dependent than people say. I make a moist area, they are in it, every time. :)

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
IMG_5218.JPG
She usually molts on the sponge i leave in her water. Thanks for the help. So it would not be uncommon for two molts in one month? I like when they molt because they are growing but it's quite nerve racking knowing something could go wrong any moment. I was just really trying to make sure she isn't sick or something.

Last edited:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Last pic looks like it's about to burst! Has this little one molted already? I'd be surprised if it hasn't. ;)

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
She hasnt molted her second molt for me .. that's why I posted the original question. Does that discoloration and huge carapace look normal for premolt status? Or should i be worried?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Let me know how the molt goes. I'm curious as i'm awaiting arrival of my son's genic :) His GBB molted like clockwork for the first 4, a month apart to the day almost. Now it's been 3 months going on 4 since his last molt. Feeding hasn't changed other than a failure attempt of Dubai the last 2 weeks. My son says his legs are starting to darken like they did the last times he molted so maybe he's finally getting ready.

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
No, no worry's. Mine has a butt just like it right now. She's in premolt. Sometimes mine will stay like that for awhile, and still accept food.
Sorry didn't see your post...was waiting to get an answer in my original post.thank you I do feel much better knowing that is a normal appearance ..I have heard of fungal infections in tarantula's and was concerned that me be her issue.I am very relieved to say the least thank you

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus I agree, I keep amoist area in my girls enclosure too.
@Madzoohouse she definitely looks pre molt, moisten a portion of the sub to raise humidity a bit. And yes slings can molt twice in one month, especialy if being well fed.