• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about feeding.

JennieBug

3 Year Member
I'm feeding my slings about 3 times a week - both awesome eaters. My Miss Moneypenny has been with me for a few days now and I can understand she's getting used to her new home, she's starting to web which is exciting. Yesterday I offered her a Roach and she had no interest whatsoever so I took the Roach out and figured I'd try again today after work... should I just keep offering daily or give her a few more days to adjust? She seemed a little irritated but I have a feeling it was the tongs she didn't like. I was told when I got her that her food was just left in there until she ate it and I definitely do not want to leave anything in there than can harm her. I don't want to disturb her more than i should but I also don't want her to go hungry.

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Mine didn't eat for a good 7 - 10 days after getting them! A roach won't hurt her but crickets can, if they aren't eaten the day after i put them in i remove them and try again in a couple of days, they can go for a while without food :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
3x a week is a bit much. 1 prey item a week is plenty. Don't leave anything in with your T for more than 24 hours.
Some Ts take some time to eat, don't worry about it. if it's not eating it could be pre molt. So, just give it some time.

JennieBug

3 Year Member
one pinhead crix 2-3times a week is too much for a sling? I dont leave anything in their tanks if they haven't eaten it even within a few hours.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It probably won't hurt anything until the slings are in active pre-molt, but 1 pinhead a week is more than enough food.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Fasting is one thing you rarely need to worry about with Ts...they can go weeks or even months without food. (My B. smithi went almost 2 months recently.) Your Moneypenny is a Rose, correct? Roses are notorious for their lengthy fasting periods sometimes. What I've read is, as long as the tarantula is not losing an excessive amount of weight, there is little cause for concern.

JennieBug

3 Year Member
Thank you Kenny! I'll knock it down to one crix a week! Man are these two slings active though! I think they know when they are gonna get fed because they both come right out of there little hides and run about like mad! Ive been giving them fresh killed crixs so that they don't need to chase it down too.