• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Purchase a sling as a B. Smithi wondering if it could be something else

Jesseileen

Hello, First time tarantula owner here. I bought a B. Smithi about 3 months ago he’s molted once now, assuming it’s a he. I’m now wondering if it may be another type of tarantula. He’s the coolest and most chill little guy, he tends to stay out in the open. He eats like crazy, has never refused food, I feed him small meal worms twice a week. He is very dark in color, almost all black, and has been climbing the walls of his enclosure. I normally change his water once a week and damp-in the corner of his enclosure where the water bowl is. I use all eco earth substrate and it’s about 4 inch deep. I let it dry out a little bit and it doesn’t seem to change him wanting to climb. I want to give him the best possible enclosure and if he’s not the type of tarantula I think he is I could be doing it all wrong. Any advice or opinions on making his current enclosure better for him or what he may be if not a B. Smithi would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• 026AC2B9-CF2D-4343-A431-88D2B5A099F2.jpeg
    026AC2B9-CF2D-4343-A431-88D2B5A099F2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 1B1E31FE-E5CE-4FBC-B802-B2ABEBFB53B0.jpeg
    1B1E31FE-E5CE-4FBC-B802-B2ABEBFB53B0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hiya, welcome to the forum. The enclosure looks fine but you do not have a Brachypelma smithi. Looks potentially a Tliltocatl (ex Brachypelma) albopilosus (Curly hair tarantula). And likely Honduran form as not very hairy like the Nicuraguan form.

If you bought as a B smithi they would be a lot more expensive than a curly hair so if form a retailer I would be asking for some money back and shaming them.

For reference, this is what a B. smithi looks like, which as you can see, has no similarities to your tarantula.

That's not to say you shouldn't continue enjoying and loving your furry friend btw. :)
20200825_130139.jpg

Latest posts