• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pretty new house

Nurse Ratchet

IMG_20211216_145742686.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's a penthouse upgrade. Hoping she will be comfy in it for a long long time.
Whole life, probably. I agree it's a bit big, but it is pretty.

I put an avic that size in a 24oz deli cup
IMG_20200421_134207.jpg

I then moved them to 32oz-ers
PXL_20211209_022211514.MP.jpg

Next move is 8x8x12 and done.

Smaller spaces = positive feeding engagements, easier care and maintenance

Nurse Ratchet

View attachment 61958

Nurse Ratchet

Gorgeous web! I guess the 4x4x8 was way overkill! Oops. Not sure what to do with the 5.5 gallon converted planted bioactive aquarium I set up for "one day".
Any suggestions? Think "new world"

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gorgeous web! I guess the 4x4x8 was way overkill! Oops. Not sure what to do with the 5.5 gallon converted planted bioactive aquarium I set up for "one day".
Any suggestions? Think "new world"
The 4x4x8 is a good gateway enclosure. Is it Herpcult? If that turns out to be male, I would probably leave it in there it's whole life. If female, the Herpcult large (6x6x12) would work well.

Show us the 5.5 gallon, please. I'm curious!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

View attachment 61959

View attachment 61958

Definitely and 8x8x12 for an adult Avic, I have most of my arboreals in those exo terra (nano tall I believe) and get the 12x12x18 or x24 for the big arboreal girls.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It will be fine in this (although a bit big) for a while, but I wouldn't say a long long time :cool:
Hopefully you'll get a good year out of it depending on how much you are feeding it and its sex.
I'll just leave this here

Nurse Ratchet

I'll just leave this here
Omg, I JUST read this the other night! :) I found it very informative and it made me rethink the previous information I've read on feeding little ones. Thank you!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
And these are now free range chicken....
1639688522296.png

I do agree with what is "needed" for a tarantula to stay alive and grow. I also agree that although we all share the love for tarantulas and the hobby, we are all looking for different things from it. It can be on a collecting point of view, it can be financial, it can be hoarding, it can be fascination, it can be a bonding experience with a child and it also can be many different combinations of reasons. In my specific case I love to spoil my Ts rotten ;) and yes, many end up with some junk in the trunk but I have not witness any of mine not taking a break, sometimes for a few week, sometimes for a few months, they they have reached a decent abdomen size. Stealing this quote I saw somewhere :cool: "The spider knows best...."

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
And these are now free range chicken....
View attachment 61961
I do agree with what is "needed" for a tarantula to stay alive and grow. I also agree that although we all share the love for tarantulas and the hobby, we are all looking for different things from it. It can be on a collecting point of view, it can be financial, it can be hoarding, it can be fascination, it can be a bonding experience with a child and it also can be many different combinations of reasons. In my specific case I love to spoil my Ts rotten ;) and yes, many end up with some junk in the trunk but I have not witness any of mine not taking a break, sometimes for a few week, sometimes for a few months, they they have reached a decent abdomen size. Stealing this quote I saw somewhere :cool: "The spider knows best...."
“And remember, be kind, be gentle and love your spider.” :D