• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Praying Mantis Babies

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
My Mantis cocoon hatched er...way too early, lol. I now have about...20-ish babies I am separating as evenly as I can into containers setup for them to minimize cannibalism. I have raised them before and hatched their cocoons before, something my father and I do to help increase population. But this was a very early unexpected hatch!! They are adorable teeny tiny little guys. Already eating fruit flies. Just usually release 95% of them when they hatch, but I can't now cause they came before spring. O.O Any tips for keeping as many alive as possible (besides what I'm already doing, trying to keep them spread out) ? Is there anyone out there interested in raising mantis hatchlings? It is quite fun and interesting. Last spring I raised 1 hatchling to a 6 inch long female. Id have pictures, but...I'd need a way better camera than what I have for them to show. I'll have to wait to show pics, they grow pretty quickly.

Last edited:

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
If I can pack them up correct, and do overnight shipping, it may work out. I've seen how T slings are shipped. They'r just about the size of my little pinky finger nail...almost. Hmmm...I'd need to look into the shipping costs, I'm low on money.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Most mantis can be kept together till about L3 stage with little cannibalism if fed well .