• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Post-molt rehousing methods

timc

3 Year Member
ok so I do already have my own system for this but I figure this community is here for the very reason to share experience. Anyhow after a molt I wait a week to ten days before the first feeding, usually a medium size meal, and another week or so later I get them back on the regular schedule, this time a much larger meal, enough to fatten them up a bit. I find this usually gets them a little less feisty for the next day. Generally I do my rehousing in the afternoon when the spiders aren't quite so active but I don't think it makes too much difference, when they're up they're up. So that's my 14-18 day routine. I'd love to hear the methods of others and maybe get some new ideas on the best ways that have worked well.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I guess we're talking about slings here. How many times have you rehoused one in a given year? Say for a one incher?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I guess we're talking about slings here. How many times have you rehoused one in a given year? Say for a one incher?
It really all depends on the type of tarantula. Some like Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus (especially cambridgei) grow like weeds, and males can mature in a year. Brachypelma on the other hand take forever to grow.

timc

3 Year Member
Well slings and juveniles. I really try to rehouse as few times as possible, so often I give growing spiders a larger enclosure (not too large) and over the course of a few molts let them grow into it. Ideally a single spider should only need three enclosures in its life with this system. One until it gets about 2 inches, another to about 4 inches and as long as it's not going to grow to monster size (8+ inches) it's final adult enclosure. Now if it is a larger genus another move would have to be done. It's not so much about "in a year" as the size of the spider. I don't want you to think my pets get a new home after every molt, there's usually 3 or 4 in between. Most of the spiders I have I want to play with as little as possible lol