• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Post molt growth

prince charmless

Both my Chilobrachys sp. "vietnam blue" and "electric blue" molted several weeks ago and immediately went into hiding. I got my first look at them since the molt this morning. The "electric blue" was tiny, probably 2nd instar. it is now about 1" dls. The "vietnam blue" surprised me, it is now over 2" and ready for a rehousing. Still waiting to get a look at my P. Muticus which molted a couple of days ago

Jenniferinfl

Congrats! I love those species that put on a bunch of growth with a molt.

I had a P rufiliata startle me badly like that. I bought a slightly more than 1 inch tarantula spiderling and left it in the deli cup overnight and it molted into a juvenile. At least, that's what it felt like. Seemed like it went over 2" though. I went from having the perfect enclosure for it to 'nothing big enough' for it.

Then you have those 'other' species where you are arguing with your spouse over whether or not they molted. I was insistent that our B. bohmei molted because the abdomen is dark now, but, it does look the same size. We did finally find the tiny molt in the enclosure. So, just like a dozen more molts like that and it might finally be more than an inch.. lol

prince charmless

Congrats! I love those species that put on a bunch of growth with a molt.

I had a P rufiliata startle me badly like that. I bought a slightly more than 1 inch tarantula spiderling and left it in the deli cup overnight and it molted into a juvenile. At least, that's what it felt like. Seemed like it went over 2" though. I went from having the perfect enclosure for it to 'nothing big enough' for it.

Then you have those 'other' species where you are arguing with your spouse over whether or not they molted. I was insistent that our B. bohmei molted because the abdomen is dark now, but, it does look the same size. We did finally find the tiny molt in the enclosure. So, just like a dozen more molts like that and it might finally be more than an inch.. lol
My P. Rufilata I picked up at a show about 3 weeks ago. It is a little over 1" and I'm waiting for it to molt. It is my first Poecilotheria. My O. violacoepes molted not long ago, but I haven't got a look at it yet

timc

3 Year Member
My P. Rufilata I picked up at a show about 3 weeks ago. It is a little over 1" and I'm waiting for it to molt. It is my first Poecilotheria. My O. violacoepes molted not long ago, but I haven't got a look at it yet
Man, get ready for a real monster. My girl just molted after two years to about 8.5 inches, and whoo! That’s a spider right there. He carapace is over an inch diagonally! Enjoy yours! These don’t get enough love in the hobby

prince charmless

Man, get ready for a real monster. My girl just molted after two years to about 8.5 inches, and whoo! That’s a spider right there. He carapace is over an inch diagonally! Enjoy yours! These don’t get enough love in the hobby
Next 2 on wish list, P. Metallica and C. Fimbriatus

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have 8 P rufies, 6 are slings, 2 are adults I'm getting ready to pair. My adults are very unique from all my other Poecilotheria species; they insist on pretending to be clumps of dirt rather than using hides.

PXL_20210731_203825351.MP.jpg

She hasn't personalized or decorated much, either.

All my other pokies will lounge out and retreat to hides behind leaning cork bark slabs and manufactured dirt curtains, but not the rufies. The only time I see them exploring/expanded is when it's dark, and quiet.

I plan to pair them soon as the male is mature and in the sunset of his career.

TokeHound

Both my Chilobrachys sp. "vietnam blue" and "electric blue" molted several weeks ago and immediately went into hiding. I got my first look at them since the molt this morning. The "electric blue" was tiny, probably 2nd instar. it is now about 1" dls. The "vietnam blue" surprised me, it is now over 2" and ready for a rehousing. Still waiting to get a look at my P. Muticus which molted a couple of days ago
I'm sorry I am new to the hobby. What do you mean by "instar" and "dls" ?

TokeHound

None of my slings have molted yet but I am eager for it. I have had my B. hamorii for 5 weeks now, and I have had my A. avicularia and my H. sp. Columbia for 4 weeks. I can't wait for them to molt. My hamorii has yet to eat since a few weeks ago, and my avicularia has yet to eat at all under my care.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sorry I am new to the hobby. What do you mean by "instar" and "dls" ?
Someone has some googling to do!

None of my slings have molted yet but I am eager for it. I have had my B. hamorii for 5 weeks now, and I have had my A. avicularia and my H. sp. Columbia for 4 weeks. I can't wait for them to molt. My hamorii has yet to eat since a few weeks ago, and my avicularia has yet to eat at all under my care.
Focus on husbandry, getting enclosures and conditions 100% and don't be in a hurry for them to molt; they grow up so fast.

timc

3 Year Member
I have 8 P rufies, 6 are slings, 2 are adults I'm getting ready to pair. My adults are very unique from all my other Poecilotheria species; they insist on pretending to be clumps of dirt rather than using hides.

View attachment 58635

All my other pokies will lounge out and retreat to hides behind leaning cork bark slabs and manufactured dirt curtains, but not the rufies. The only time I see them exploring/expanded is when it's dark, and quiet.

Try a cork tube. You’ll never see the spider again but it’ll be glad you did.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Try a cork tube. You’ll never see the spider again but it’ll be glad you did.
It has a cork slab, that's more of a half round against the back wall that all other pokie species are comfortable with...

x_raphael_xx

View attachment 58635

Sorry to hijack the thread with something unrelated, but I just want to say @octanejunkie, I think your gold tee water dish invention is ingenious!