• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poorly Lasiodora Parahybana

PinkMatilda

3 Year Member
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi everyone, I'm very concerned about my tarantula. I have had her for 5 years now and usually she is fine and healthy but I noticed today she has what looks like a bald patch or blister on her abdomen which I have never seen before and as I picked her up out of the tank she was quite limp and slow in my hands and her abdomen appears to be more softer than usual. The soil in her tank was more wet than damp and I've now taken everything out, cleaned the tank and put new substrate in and made sure to squeeze out any excess water. Then I noticed the heat mat has lost some of its heat. Is this what had caused the excess water in the soil? And is this why my tarantula appears soft? I'm getting a new heat mat tomorrow but wanted to check ifs the bald patch is related to the tank being too wet or if there's something else? any help would be greatly appreciated. I love my tarantula and can't stand seeing her like this :(

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the bald patch on the top left side is from rubbing hairs off to flick them at you or a cricket or whatever. I see a spot on the underside of the abdomen i'm not sure what is from in the first pic. Maybe one of the more seasoned keepers will know ;)

PinkMatilda

3 Year Member
the bald patch on the top left side is from rubbing hairs off to flick them at you or a cricket or whatever. I see a spot on the underside of the abdomen i'm not sure what is from in the first pic. Maybe one of the more seasoned keepers will know ;)
Thank you for your reply, hopefully someone will know. She hasn't flicked hairs at me for a few years now so perhaps it was a cricket? Hopefully her hair will grow back. The spot on the under side worried me, I hope it is nothing serious. I do have a vet I can take her to so if no one is sure I will get her looked at by them. I just want to know she is going to be okay.
Thanks again

Telson

3 Year Member
I'm not sure about the spot on the underside, but heat mats+excess moisture in the tank will make a tarantula sicken and die. You can keep L.p. at room temp, maybe over fill the dish occasionally. L.p. are not a moisture dependent species. I would put it in a completely dry enclosure and see if it improves. The way you're holding it casually upside down makes me think it's either very sick or dying.

PinkMatilda

3 Year Member
I used to keep her in a very dry tank before all this started to happen, I had her checked at a vet over Christmas last year because she hadn't molted in a very long time and the vet told me to raise the temperature and keep the humidity of the tank up so it will aid in bringing on a molt. She was fine two weeks ago as I had her out for an explore and she looked fine. This has all happened over two weeks. Could it be mites?

Telson

3 Year Member
It's possible, but I don't think so. You've obviously studied it closely, you would be able to see them. You said the heat mat stopped working? If that happens in an enclosure with little cross vent and high moisture, like an aquarium, in a day you'll find the sides covered in condensation and a "drowned" spider inside. Taking the heat off a moist tank will do that. Unfortunately I know this from personal experience:(

PinkMatilda

3 Year Member
Thank you so much! As soon as I saw the words "drowned spider" I know exactly what's going on now. There is far too much condensation collecting in there. I'm going to keep her out sitting on top some tissue for a few hours, let the air get to her a bit. Is there anything that is better than soil to keep in her tank do you think? I hope she dries out.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep my 2 LPs on dry coco fibre. If you're taking the T out of the container, you could take the soil out and dry it in the oven.

PinkMatilda

3 Year Member
That's a great idea thank you. I kept her absolutely fine in a mostly dry climate for over four years and she did just fine then when she wasn't molting for a long time I had her checked at the vet and it was him who said to make the tank much more moist and put the temperature up and its been since then that she Has got very heavy and limp and obviously being very vulnerable around her prey. Ive also been told that it's perfectly alright for an older tarantula to not molt for upto as long as two years and even longer in some circumstances so I am a little cross with the vet for telling me that they should be molting 4 times a year.
Thank you for you reply, I'll get the soil dried out while she dries off near the radiator

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a great idea thank you. I kept her absolutely fine in a mostly dry climate for over four years and she did just fine then when she wasn't molting for a long time I had her checked at the vet and it was him who said to make the tank much more moist and put the temperature up and its been since then that she Has got very heavy and limp and obviously being very vulnerable around her prey. Ive also been told that it's perfectly alright for an older tarantula to not molt for upto as long as two years and even longer in some circumstances so I am a little cross with the vet for telling me that they should be molting 4 times a year.
Thank you for you reply, I'll get the soil dried out while she dries off near the radiator
Do keep us posted as to her progress please?

PinkMatilda

3 Year Member
Yes of course! Her legs are outstretched as normal and not curled beneath her so I am not too worried and feel I have caught this at the right time.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am not medically trained in any way but I think the advice here on the forum around temp and dry substrate is IMHO much more well informed and accurate than what the Vet suggested. Not criticising the Vet, but you are getting the collective advice of true keepers here, with many many years experience (good and bad) compared to something that is probably in a text book of from so called "care sheets" that is now likely out of date as far as general tarantula husbandry is concerned and likely not be as regular visitors to he Vet unlike other domesticated animals. My advice, same as everyone else here. Coco fibre is an excellent substrate. I use 80% coco fibre and 20% Irish moss peat for all my spiders (23), open water dish and mist LIGHTLY once a week if that. I do up the humidity slightly when in pre-molt but never to try and force the molting process into action when the T is not reasy for it. For a mature LP, a year is not unusual. Let her settle on the new drier substrate, keep her calm, don't handle too much and offer food in a few days and she how she reacts. Hope this helps and sorry for the rant at any Vets out there. Not intensional I promise.

PinkMatilda

3 Year Member
Thanks Phil I appreciate your help and advice and everyone else's on here so very much! It's the first time I've tried coming online with a problem like this and I must say it is very reassuring to hear from people who are very experienced in tarantula keeping, thank you all so much. I am a little concerned still of the spot on her under side, could it be a perforation of some sort and explain why her abdomen was feeling unusually softer than usual?
I am leaving her be for the time being, to let her get over the ordeal and I will try her on a small cricket or two in a few days.
Thanks again for all your advice. I know it might sound silly but she means a lot to me.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Phil I appreciate your help and advice and everyone else's on here so very much! It's the first time I've tried coming online with a problem like this and I must say it is very reassuring to hear from people who are very experienced in tarantula keeping, thank you all so much. I am a little concerned still of the spot on her under side, could it be a perforation of some sort and explain why her abdomen was feeling unusually softer than usual?
I am leaving her be for the time being, to let her get over the ordeal and I will try her on a small cricket or two in a few days.
Thanks again for all your advice. I know it might sound silly but she means a lot to me.
Not silly at all. If we didn't care then we don't deserve to have them in our lives. Does not look to be any weeping from what I can see which is always something to look out for. Keep fresh water available (I always boil mine and cool it down for drinking and misting). This will help keep her hydrated which is important in case she goes through a period of not eating. They are usually pretty resilient and we tend to get stressed out about things more than they do. Just keep your eye on her for any other signs of distress is really the only other advice I can give. Stay positive you have obviously done a good job to date.

PinkMatilda

3 Year Member
Hi everyone, I thought I'd upload some photos to show how well Matilda is doing now. As you can see her hair has grown back and she is looking much more healthier and her abdomen is not feeling as soft as it did before. I also got her old tank mended and have moved her back into it which I think she much more prefers being in. I do believe the other tank she was in was no good as the ventilation holes were in the top and where the vet had told me to raise the humidity and temperature, it was just basically slowly drowning her. She seems a lot better in a more dry and flatter tank which has ventilation at the sides. I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who advised me, I really appreciate all your help :) just need to get her eating more now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts