• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria ornata sexual dimorphism?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

Ophelia recently moulted and came strutting out with these lovely markings :) I have read that with this species you can tell quite early on by the markings on the head which sex they are. However looking at some pictures of males and females, I still couldn't identify which markings exactly I am looking for. Can anyone tell me?

DSC07471 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pictures and lighting can make it hard to sex. I like to do it with the speciems in front of me. I like the carapace color on yours but the abdomen is throwing me off. Males tend to have alot of brown and greens and the females are a cream to yellow. Still check the next molt or even a ventral photo at its size is sexable. Here's a 3" female and a 10" female. The pattern on yours suggests it's a male to me.

20211230_083928.jpg
20220114_191724.jpg

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Pictures and lighting can make it hard to sex. I like to do it with the speciems in front of me. I like the carapace color on yours but the abdomen is throwing me off. Males tend to have alot of brown and greens and the females are a cream to yellow. Still check the next molt or even a ventral photo at its size is sexable. Here's a 3" female and a 10" female. The pattern on yours suggests it's a male to me.

View attachment 68025View attachment 68024

Thanks! That's helpful to know, will try to get hold of the next moult intact. Your Ornata ladies are stunning :D

Latest posts