• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help! Tarantula sprayed with Windex

MeganG

3 Year Member
Are his legs pulled up over him covering his carapace or curling up under him? Some walmarts carry crickets for fishing bait, might be able to get some there till you can order some feeders.

I will take another picture of him when I get back home. I just remember his legs were drawn closer to his body. They weren't actually touching him or under him.

Ghost56

3 Year Member
I will take another picture of him when I get back home. I just remember his legs were drawn closer to his body. They weren't actually touching him or under him.
From what you describe, it just sounds like a stress curl like the others mentioned which still isn't good necessarily, but it's miles better than a death curl. And I feel your struggle haha, I use to live in town with a single "country store", nothing else for about 45 minutes, it sucks. They don't eat much at all so if you feel confident that you can catch a wild cricket that's not contaminated with pesticides, one or two should hold him over just fine till you can order some feeders if you choose to keep him. Also, it definitely looks to be a mature male so it would probably be best, if he pulls through, to release him if he's a native species.

Last edited:

syzygy

3 Year Member
Hard to tell without a side view shot of the front leg pairs, but it does appear that this could be a mature male. That would explain why it was roaming around your office.

MeganG

3 Year Member
Here he is now.

Attachments

• 1012161733.jpg
    1012161733.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 37

Ghost56

3 Year Member
Here he is now.
Doesn't look too good tbh, looks like the start of a death curl. I'm still pretty new to the hobby though so hopefully some of the more experienced people will chime in. Just keep doing what you're doing, make sure he has water, and keep him in a dark, calm area.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm talking small town. Over an hour to Walmart small, one hardware store small, one feed store small, and no live bait small. I did look at mealworms on Amazon though and can get a ton of them for $11. I don't really want a ton of them and I'm not going to lie, they kinda gross me out, but not near as bad as the roaches that I've been reading about! Good thing I have an extra refrigerator in the garage. I think my husband might kill me if he found any of these things next to his food!
I feel you there honey, live in a po-dunk town in central alabama. No fast food one street light and a small grocery that closes at 7pm. :(
Mealworms are easy, and check eBay. Seriously. Bought some that way with no issues. Crush them up some bran flakes and oatmeal give them a snip of carrot and they are good to go.

MeganG

3 Year Member
I feel you there honey, live in a po-dunk town in central alabama. No fast food one street light and a small grocery that closes at 7pm. :(
Mealworms are easy, and check eBay. Seriously. Bought some that way with no issues. Crush them up some bran flakes and oatmeal give them a snip of carrot and they are good to go.

Sounds like home! Especially the one street light! We do have Pizza Hut and DQ, but that's it as far as fast food.

I'm thinking mealworms are the way to go. I wish this guy could hold out long enough to enjoy them...

Ghost56

3 Year Member
I personally would just leave him be with fresh water in the cabinet, and only dispose of him if he starts to stink or you're sure he's dead. From what I've heard, tarantulas don't really "suffer", but if he isn't really improving any in the next few days, and you feel it'd be best to go ahead and freeze him. By all means do so.

I would give the little guy a shot though, there's been T's pull through way worse things. He may perk up in a few days and if not, let nature take it's coarse.

Last edited:

MeganG

3 Year Member
Not really. I turned him over and dripped some water in his mouth and sat him back inside. He was pretty curled up then and he's not as curled up now, so maybe a little more relaxed. He basically looks about the same.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
definitely a mature male.

I'd take him out of the cabinet though, they need air circulation, stagnant air is bad. Put him in the corner of a room away from activity if possible, and if you have a ceiling fan or something to keep the air moving that may help.

MeganG

3 Year Member
I have the cabinet cracked and the central air fan on. I ordered him a different tank and some coconut substrate that should be in today. As soon as I get it set up I'll get him into it and onto an open shelf in the kitchen. Would that be ok?

Latest posts