• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phlogius Goliath K2 Western Form

Wal

I'm sure she will settle in soon enough, tried to do a runner while I was taking pics lol got my heart racing
Cheers
20230223_142716.jpg
20230223_142739.jpg

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow that is impressive! This is the western form, how does it compare to other forms?

Wal

H
Wow that is impressive! This is the western form, how does it compare to other forms?
Honestly mate I'm not 100% sure myself all our T's in Australia are yet to be fully described, that's why most here have temporary name associated with the location where they are found...
For example we have 2 know Goliath sp here ... Cooktown and K2 Western Form

To my knowledge the K2 is the biggest not only In leg span but also bulky / heavy set

Cheers

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think when it comes to tarantulas, we have a long way to go in terms of identifying species. But we are making progress. I guess it is both an exciting time and confusing one.

Do I understand it right that in Australia you can only keep Australian species?

Wal

I think when it comes to tarantulas, we have a long way to go in terms of identifying species. But we are making progress. I guess it is both an exciting time and confusing one.

Do I understand it right that in Australia you can only keep Australian species?
Unfortunately mate that's true, we aren't allowed to import anything and the very few exotic sp in Australia are tightly controlled at Zoos

Its hard to accept to be honest but it is what it is :(

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry to hear that. Here in the US it varies state by state what you can keep. A lot of states are concerned about invasive species, especially in light of Florida having extreme issues with the spread of Burmese Pythons and other non native big snakes.

I am thinking that the restrictions in Australia stem from, in part, the long standing cane toad problem.

Wal

Sorry to hear that. Here in the US it varies state by state what you can keep. A lot of states are concerned about invasive species, especially in light of Florida having extreme issues with the spread of Burmese Pythons and other non native big snakes.

I am thinking that the restrictions in Australia stem from, in part, the long standing cane toad problem.
100% The introduction of the Cane Toad to deal with the Cane Beatle did change alot of laws in regards to importing.
Those Toads are a serious issue especially in Queensland where I live
They eat frogs, kill dogs... even cause serious drug psychosis as some crazy ppl like to consume the milky poison.
And there literally everywhere, I can walk in my yard at night and see multiple every night