• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

U.K. Phil - The Spider House

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm new to Tarantulas, having only started keeping them since going to the Southern Invert Show in Brighton this November, and I wanted to write this review as I think there isn't enough credit or recognition given to independent breeders in the UK.
I Bought my first T in Brighton, a beautiful juvenile Caribena Versicolor from Portsmouth Tarantulas. It was the one I really wanted to start off with. Shortly after, I bought 3 slings from The Spider Shop. Poecilotheria Miranda, Psuedoclamoris Gigas & Avicularia Kwitara. I have to say that I was extremely happy with my purchases, but knew I wasn't going to stop there. I wanted more.
I kept looking at Portsmouth Tarantulas, The Spider Shop & So Many Legs (the 3 big suppliers here in the UK), but nothing else really caught my eye. So I started to look further afield, scouring the internet for other shops or breeders to see what they had in stock. But still nothing really grabbed me.
Then, on Instagram I saw someone handing a juvenile Ybyrapora Diversipes, and I knew then exactly what I wanted. Hours more searching and the only place I could find slings for sale was here on the forum, from a man named Phil. His list of spiders is seriously impressive, both his own collection and what he has for sale. You really need to check them out. I started a conversation with him and he confirmed that he still had the Y.Diversipes, an Avicularia sp Blue Velvet & a Nhandu Coloratovillosus for sale (I couldn't help myself :D).
Payment was safe and easy through PayPal, so no questions about being covered should the worst happen. A delivery date was set, and he kept me informed every step of the way, updating me on progress daily. Any questions I had were answered swiftly and I couldn't have felt more confident about the deal.
Needless to say, I was like a kid in a sweet shop when they were delivered and I couldn't have been any happier when I opened the box. The spiders were very carefully packed, wrapped up nice and tight so they had no chance of being bounced around by even the most careless postie. I'm glad to say that they were sent along with a heat pack, which was still warm on arrival, as the weather here is utter crap at the moment.
The Spiders themselves are amazing, I'll add some photos at the end. All are healthy and happy in their new homes. The A. sp Blue Velvet has about 3/4 inch span, the Y.Diversipes has roughly 1 inch span, and the N.Coloratovillosus is close to 2 1/2 inches. That one was an interesting rehouse too. It was so comfy in it's travel pot that it even gave my paint brush a threat posture and a strike when I tried to coax it out. :eek:
And here is the point of everything I've written. If you're new to Tarantulas like I am, you're obviously going to start looking at the big name shops when buying your first T. But can I suggest you try looking in a different direction? Talk to Phil. You'll get the best quality spiders at great prices from a man who is clearly passionate about what he does and wants you to be as happy with his Tarantulas as he is. And believe me, you will be. I am.

View attachment 33846 View attachment 33847 View attachment 33848 View attachment 33849 View attachment 33850 View attachment 33851
Thank you so much for your post. really enjoyed reading the back story and how you came to see my for sale list. I had also been selling on Preloved for a few years now but really happy that interest is increasing on this wonderful forum. After all, you are going to be more confident that the spider is going to a loving home. I have refused so many sales on a more generic site as you just don't get "the right vibe" from someone. Thanks again. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yet another great package from @Phil, 3 healthy, lively Ts, well packaged.
I fully recommend you buy Ts from him.
so glad all arrived safe and well. been a chilly last 24hours so extra wrapping and insulation within the box was order of the day to get the most out of the heat pack. Enjoy your new additions hun x

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
so glad all arrived safe and well. been a chilly last 24hours so extra wrapping and insulation within the box was order of the day to get the most out of the heat pack. Enjoy your new additions hun x

That insulation was a great addition.
DSCF8181.JPG

RAFREGROB

Thanks @Phil for a great delivery this morning of 4 Monocentrapus balfouri and a Psalmopeous victorii. Communication was excellent and we managed to get a warmer day to deliver, even so he triple insulated and heat packed them to ensure their safety. Needless to say they arrived fit and well and ready for their new homes. Really pleased to have found someone who is really knowledgeable, cares about the spiders and is a real nice guy to chat to. I'll be back as soon as these little guys settle in and I spot something unusual again!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks @Phil for a great delivery this morning of 4 Monocentrapus balfouri and a Psalmopeous victorii. Communication was excellent and we managed to get a warmer day to deliver, even so he triple insulated and heat packed them to ensure their safety. Needless to say they arrived fit and well and ready for their new homes. Really pleased to have found someone who is really knowledgeable, cares about the spiders and is a real nice guy to chat to. I'll be back as soon as these little guys settle in and I spot something unusual again!
thank you @RAFREGROB for your comment. Glad all your new additions are settling in well. Have also enjoyed our chats too :).
I hope your enjoy your colony of M Balfouri and the P Victorii are stunning and go through some awesome pattern/ colour changes as they mature. Have a good evening and thanks again for the feedback.:T:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello all UK members, with a massive thanks to the super talented and beautiful @T-Baby The Spider House has gone up market!

Today I opened a very special and slightly early Christmas gift from T-Baby and I have to say.....WOW! these business cards are awesome. Thank you so so much T-baby, I love them and you even used my favourite spider, "My Genie", I am totally thrilled. You are wonderful, much Love Phil x
20181224_215421.jpg
20181224_215321.jpg

The Bigbossman

3 Year Member
Firstly i just want to say sorry for this late review regarding my order of new spiderlings from Phil (The Spider House ) in December last year. A lovely guy that's very competitive with his prices and very helpful with advice and information regarding any queries you may have have. My order was dispatched and arrived with little delay and they were very well packaged for safe delivery. Reliable seller that has very healthy stock and I would certainly recommend adding Phil to your Spider Supplier Contacts hence another order is under way this month should the weather permit. One of the Juveniles i purchased was a T.Stirmi which I'm over the moon with and cannot wait to see this beautiful creature. Happy New Year to everyone on the forum and keep up the great work caring and breeding these amazing creatures.

Dave aka The Bigbossman

Firstly i just want to say sorry for this late review regarding my order of new spiderlings from Phil (The Spider House ) in December last year. A lovely guy that's very competitive with his prices and very helpful with advice and information regarding any queries you may have have. My order was dispatched and arrived with little delay and they were very well packaged for safe delivery. Reliable seller that has very healthy stock and I would certainly recommend adding Phil to your Spider Supplier Contacts hence another order is under way this month should the weather permit. One of the Juveniles i purchased was a T.Stirmi which I'm over the moon with and cannot wait to see this beautiful creature. Happy New Year to everyone on the forum and keep up the great work caring and breeding these amazing creatures.

Dave aka The Bigbossman
I agree with you. I bought 3 sling from Phil last year too and I couldn't be happier with them. Great guy who takes the utmost care with his T's. Packed more carefully than I've seen from shops and perfectly healthy on arrival.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Another review on the wonderful @Phil as I received another delivery from him today-as usual fantastic Ts in great condition ,well packaged and safely delivered,i received a mixture of slings,juvies and adults in OW,NW and @Phil even sent me a MM p.irimina as a gift(you little sweetheart x)
I think we need an ODE TO PHIL...here goes...

Perfectionist,perfectly packed Ts
Happy to help,has great prices
Infactuated with his Ts a real intellectual,
Lovely guy,you couldn't wish to meet anyone nicer!

so there you go-buy your Ts from @Phil (as you can tell I'm his number 1# fan!):D:p

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Another recommendation for @Phil

Beautiful Ts, really knowledgeable, genuine, and an all-round lovely guy. Most importantly, it's obvious he cares about his animals.

Was super courteous and helpful to me as a new keeper - and he pointed me in the direction of TF!
Thanks for the lovely comments pal :)

Latest posts