• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Passive Rehousing

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm considering this for teleporting species like P. gigas, P. irminia, etc.

For this example I am working with T. violaceus in a 32oz deli cup. I have a 32oz catch cup.
  1. Place a catch cup with the same or reduced opening size inverted above the T's current enclosure with the lid removed (think 2 deli cups taped placed mouth to mouth)

2. Join the cup and enclosure temporarily, maybe taped on 3 sides (12:00, 3:00 and 9:00)

3. Cut an index card or similar stiff cardboard wide enough to cover the opening but narrow enough to fit between the tape on 2 sides (3:00 and 9:00)

4. When the spider goes up to "explore" the new, higher ceiling of the inverted catch cup, slip the index card between the two cups.
    1. you need to lift the catch cup a bit to do this
  5. Secure the two cups, remove the tape and lift the top cup and card with the spider away

6. You can reverse the process to rehouse.
See Tom Moran's rehousing P. irminia youtube video, he shows how he adapts a 32oz deli cup catch cup to fit an Exo Terra

Anyone try something like this?

Last edited:

Latest posts