• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pamphobeteus machala??

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
20190918_100254.jpg

I purchased her as a P. machala. She is roughly 6+" in leg span. Pictured in natural lighting. Person I purchased from states it has been a year or so since her last molt.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 40823

I purchased her as a P. machala. She is roughly 6+" in leg span. Pictured in natural lighting. Person I purchased from states it has been a year or so since her last molt.
looks light in colour to me? No expert on this species and this is the best pic I have atm of a P machala AF I have Will try to get a better one tomorrow
20190818_172506.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks Phil! I was looking for pics online to compare her to but you know how that goes.... :confused:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a MM P. machala (thank you @Whitelightning777 ) but I am not breeding until this girl molts for me. I'm hoping that she is just off in coloration because she hasn't molted in a while....I was leaning more mascara or paisa but didn't want to sway anyone's opinion.....I damn sure don't want to hybridize. That's why I posted pics of her. Usually, I can identify them fairly well but if I have the SLIGHTEST doubt, I will research before I f*ck up. This would be that point in time where I am doubting......of course, I could be over thinking and this actually be a MF P. machala....but I want to get opinions, first....

@Tom Patterson - I've been told to ask you about this.....what is your opinion? Although, at this point I'm certain I will wait for a molt, anyway (power feed her a bit and increase temps).

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
4.5-5" sub adult female
View attachment 40829

She is gorgeous, Steve. I've had them before and they look just like yours but I've never had an AF so I'm not sure how their color pattern changes (if at all). I know some get more dull in color and turn brown, etc. pre-molt....

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I know nothing about any of those species other than pictures I've seen, though I can see why you are suspecting mascara. Though she could be a very faded machala. When she moults and regains her colours you will know for sure. I know you can get her to moult Casey. Love you for being a responsible breeder and waiting on confirmation before you pull the trigger on the pairing. :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Adult females loose all the purple/mauve as they mature but spermathecae comparison might help when she molts

Thanks, Steve. I will definitely check her out when she molts. I will also post some pics a few hours after she molts, as well for comparison to other machalas. I've never seen a pampho with leg coloration like hers. Closest I've seen is mascara but I know color pattern changes throughout molt cycles and with age.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I found her! This is what she looks like! She is a P. mascara in late stage of her molt cycle! The older they get and the closer to the molt they get, the lighter the colors! Once she molts, she will have that darker coloration. (This is a screenshot of a google search, btw- these are NOT my photos). Well....now I need to find a needle in a hay stack :(. Anyone know where I can find a MM P. mascara?

Screenshot_20190921-175547_Google.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I know, the pattern on the carapace is similar between both sexes, but the male is by far more brightly colored. That starburst pattern is what you're looking for.

I haven't seen or heard of documented hybrids for Pamphobetous species. The male will probably be ignored or consumed should it be attempted.

Latest posts