• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. ornata vs P. rufilata

P. ornata vs P. rufilata

• P. ornata

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • P. rufilata

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

micheldied

3 Year Member
Alright, so normally I'd get whatever I wanted but right now for various I can only afford the space for either one, mainly because I want to get slings of other genera.
These are both species I've always wanted, about equally, so I'm going to let the masses decide.
Eventually I'll likely have both anyway, but for now I've got to pick one.

I'm going to let the votes roll in for a couple of hours before I make my purchase.

timc

3 Year Member
Never had an ornata but my rufilata is one of the jewels of my collection. She gets more beautiful with each molt. Honestly though I don't think you can go wrong here!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I vote rufilata. Because I want one, and it's what I would get. Aren't the ornatas one of the species that get huge though? Just get both, I would say. It's the only way to be sure you made the right decision.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I vote rufilata. Because I want one, and it's what I would get. Aren't the ornatas one of the species that get huge though? Just get both, I would say. It's the only way to be sure you made the right decision.

P. rufilata have the largest recorded legspan of any arboreal, at 11 inches. P. ornata come close though, I've seen a 10.5 inch female, and they regularly hit over 9 inches.
I will definitely have both in the future, but right now I won't have the room for both because I'm planning on getting a couple of other species.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P. rufilata have the largest recorded legspan of any arboreal, at 11 inches. P. ornata come close though, I've seen a 10.5 inch female, and they regularly hit over 9 inches.
I will definitely have both in the future, but right now I won't have the room for both because I'm planning on getting a couple of other species.
Well, that answer just got a rufilata added to my order.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Well, that answer just got a rufilata added to my order.

My only gripe with them is that they're a montane species. That being said, I know plenty who have kept them warm like any other T. Captive breeding has probably helped with this. I myself have kept P. subfusca in tropical weather.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Alright, so normally I'd get whatever I wanted but right now for various I can only afford the space for either one, mainly because I want to get slings of other genera.
These are both species I've always wanted, about equally, so I'm going to let the masses decide.
Eventually I'll likely have both anyway, but for now I've got to pick one.

I'm going to let the votes roll in for a couple of hours before I make my purchase.
I have an ornata, and love it. It attacks it's food, and the underside colors are beautiful

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
My only gripe with them is that they're a montane species. That being said, I know plenty who have kept them warm like any other T. Captive breeding has probably helped with this. I myself have kept P. subfusca in tropical weather.

My rufilata is my most impressive tarantula: she's an old female, really HUGE, and beautiful with green hues. She's not afraid to show herself (even if she spends most of her time hidden) and doesn't panic when I'm around.

She really is different from the other Poecilotheria. I give her my vote!

I keep her in the same room as all my other Ts, without any differences of temps, and she's been doing fine for years. But I live in a rather cold country... (My flat's temps are around: 21-24 C but higher in summer).

Latest posts