• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. irminia Sling in Critical Condition After Damage While Moulting

What do?

• Keep in current state

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Kill it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remove the more damaged legs but keep alive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well..patience is required if you want it to live :) You'll probably have to keep pre killing its prey and making sure it feeds, as well as giving it moisture. The value you place on its life is your decision.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Oh, quit being a baby. You came asking for help, and people aren't always going to answer the way you'd want them to. That's what happens on the internet.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I am, I'm an internet asshole. It's how I get out all my repressed rage. Screw patients though, I could work for an hour and buy a few more of these guys. Personally, it's more about the intrinsic value of life and the extent to which one should go out of their way to preserve it.

I was just about to write a post defending you until I read this last response...what a terrible attitude.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was just about to write a post defending you until I read this last response...what a terrible attitude.
He's the definition of a forum troll. A coward that can't stand up in real life and takes it all out here. and i was happy i hadn't had to ignore anyone on the forums here, until now.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok guys, listen, I wasn't going to say anything, but this is a bit ridiculous..
seriously,
Definitively not the place for name calling and rage responses.
There are myriads of places around for that, and they accept it as part of things, this however isn't the place.
You had to know folks were going to be reactive and showed that in your first post.
and be honest, you had to expect less than desirable responses the moment you posted kill it with fire.

First:
OP, This is a forum full of folks who truly care about arachnids, asking for help, having that offered, but then going off on a tangent
and showing your ass won't get you the help you're looking for, Not every reply is going to be exactly what you want to hear.
There's honest advice there, if it doesn't work for you, fine, say so, a simple statement, 'space heater isn't an option for me ' period.
This is about the T, and whats best to try to help it through this. Cursing, trolling, and acting the fool won't get you help.
Second:
offering advice with demands is never helpful either, none of us know anothers situation and
that's just going to push folks away ...again, I'm fairly certain that's not the type of place we want to be known as.
This is simply a thread to offer advice on how to best help the sling. Up to them if they utilize it or not.
Finger pointing or name calling just drives folks away. Whats important right here right now is the spider.

OP, read the responses again ,
take what you can use from them
Its not about you or your problems with someone acting in a way you don't care for,
bottom line here, and the only thing of importance is the T, not bruised feelings.

Basic advice so far, Keep offering it prekilled or bugsoup, keep it hydrated, if it can eat,
it can molt and repair itself.
Perhaps a freshly molted prekilled mealworm would be easier for it to grasp and eat.
Please DO keep us updated on the little guy

swimbait

3 Year Member
I am, I'm an internet asshole. It's how I get out all my repressed rage. Screw patients though, I could work for an hour and buy a few more of these guys. Personally, it's more about the intrinsic value of life and the extent to which one should go out of their way to preserve it.

patience*

corij

3 Year Member
Youtube is where the scum of the human race all go to converge. Even replying to and/or simply reading comments will likely give you brain damage.
i got stalked on youtube . in fact whoever it is is still doin it. if ever you put up videos on youtube be aware it opens you up to be targetted/played with like a cat with a mouse . even after you take your vid down

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why kill it? If anything, try and care for it n see if it pulls thru
Some of us believe in euthanasia. You'll need it when the zombie apocalypse comes.

Seriously though, I guess I have to commend the TS for honesty. Or not. :p

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some of us believe in euthanasia. You'll need it when the zombie apocalypse comes.

Seriously though, I guess I have to commend the TS for honesty. Or not. :p
ROFL I'm sorry, but I live in a house where the 'zombie apocalypse is spoken of often, that just made me lmao!

jimbo john

3 Year Member
Ok guys, listen, I wasn't going to say anything, but this is a bit ridiculous..
seriously,
Definitively not the place for name calling and rage responses.
There are myriads of places around for that, and they accept it as part of things, this however isn't the place.
You had to know folks were going to be reactive and showed that in your first post.
and be honest, you had to expect less than desirable responses the moment you posted kill it with fire.

First:
OP, This is a forum full of folks who truly care about arachnids, asking for help, having that offered, but then going off on a tangent
and showing your ass won't get you the help you're looking for, Not every reply is going to be exactly what you want to hear.
There's honest advice there, if it doesn't work for you, fine, say so, a simple statement, 'space heater isn't an option for me ' period.
This is about the T, and whats best to try to help it through this. Cursing, trolling, and acting the fool won't get you help.
Second:
offering advice with demands is never helpful either, none of us know anothers situation and
that's just going to push folks away ...again, I'm fairly certain that's not the type of place we want to be known as.
This is simply a thread to offer advice on how to best help the sling. Up to them if they utilize it or not.
Finger pointing or name calling just drives folks away. Whats important right here right now is the spider.

OP, read the responses again ,
take what you can use from them
Its not about you or your problems with someone acting in a way you don't care for,
bottom line here, and the only thing of importance is the T, not bruised feelings.

Basic advice so far, Keep offering it prekilled or bugsoup, keep it hydrated, if it can eat,
it can molt and repair itself.
Perhaps a freshly molted prekilled mealworm would be easier for it to grasp and eat.
Please DO keep us updated on the little guy
Well said, thank you.

I tried to follow all your advice, left it in a slightly humid enclosure, giving it mushed up food every now and then for a few weeks... Sadly it must R.I.P. I went to check on the little fella a few days ago and blew softly to see if it would move. It didn't. Fast forward to now and it's in the exactly same position and still not moving, presumably dead. It's been a learning experience and I definitely understand why most arachnids lay lots of eggs, these slings are fragile and, in nature, die very easily.

On the bright side, the other t's and slings I have are doing great. I've got a Euathlus sp. "Red" mature female and a sling of the species as well (and holy **** it's small, like the size of a bb small). A rose hair sling the size of a silver dollar. And slings of G. pulchripes, S. calacetum, and A. ezendami all probably the size of a nickel or quarter. With that being said the little irminia was the best looking of them all, at least as a sling.

Last edited by a moderator:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The zombie apocalypse is no laughing matter..remember, cardio, and always run with fatter, slower people whenever possible.
Youtube is where the scum of the human race all go to converge. Even replying to and/or simply reading comments will likely give you brain damage.
If you're talking about spider channels, I have to disagree. I don't see much nonsense on them. There's always ignorant comments though, in all social networking sites. It's a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff, and besides that, people respond better to videos, and are more apt to pay attention and learn something if they have visual stimulus, like videos of big freakin spiders eating things. No, I think YouTube is probably the best thing that ever happened to this hobby.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with @MassExodus the vids on YouTube actually made my son interested in tarantulas in the first place. He then made me search for more videos as he is only four and made me watch them with him. Then I got hooked also, and it all begins from there. ;)

BTW, I don't read comments posted under YouTube. :p

Latest posts