• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. irminia matures - gutted

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What I thought was a beautiful female has matured into a mature male. Falcon moulted a few days ago but hadn't left its hideaway until today so it came as a shock to see an equally beautiful grey fells complete with emboli.

Don't get me wrong the reason I'm gutted is because he won't be with me as long.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I bought Falcon 16 months ago at 0.5" dls, he's moulted 6 times while I've had him and he's matured at 4.5" dls.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's funny Enn..I have a 3-4" specimen that is the exact same color, can't get to the molts or vent sex because its always deep in a tunnel network. I'm going to have to extract him I guess, to be sure, but mine has very similar stats to the ones you just posted..im thinking mm as well, since his last molt 3 weeks ago he's been grey as well..

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's funny Enn..I have a 3-4" specimen that is the exact same color, can't get to the molts or vent sex because its always deep in a tunnel network. I'm going to have to extract him I guess, to be sure, but mine has very similar stats to the ones you just posted..im thinking mm as well, since his last molt 3 weeks ago he's been grey as well..

Mine had been so very black until this last moult so it was quite a shock when he appeared today all beautifully silvery grey.

Absolutely gorgeous T! Takes lots of pics and give him a special meal once he's ready.

I will indeed.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What I thought was a beautiful female has matured into a mature male. Falcon moulted a few days ago but hadn't left its hideaway until today so it came as a shock to see an equally beautiful grey fells complete with emboli.

Don't get me wrong the reason I'm gutted is because he won't be with me as long.

Really beautiful T! Wishing you a lot more years with this guy. ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thats a beautiful guy Enn49, I usually like the dark dark ones best but hes really gorgeous.
I hate that we cant keep males as long :/

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Enn49 did u think about maybe loaning him out. I dont know i think thats what im gonna do with mine. just to help the captive breeding and i feel like their short life isnt in vain that way. i dont know....im still on the fence.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Alright well I guess we just agree to disagree on that one. That's just how things are done in this hobby. That's not being a traitor, it's just allowing the male to fulfill his purpose. Most people are pretty trustworthy in this hobby guys. We look out for each other when it comes to hobbyists who are scammers or who are unethical in any way. I just don't get that mentality is all. Most of the people who seem so against it are people who have never done it before. Of course it's up to you in the end though.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I get that @Chubbs, but for me at least, I would worry myself to death,
I have no doubt I'd allow him to go breed, but I'm going to be honest here,
I'd be crying all the way to fedex.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Alright well I guess we just agree to disagree on that one. That's just how things are done in this hobby. That's not being a traitor, it's just allowing the male to fulfill his purpose. Most people are pretty trustworthy in this hobby guys. We look out for each other when it comes to hobbyists who are scammers or who are unethical in any way. I just don't get that mentality is all. Most of the people who seem so against it are people who have never done it before. Of course it's up to you in the end though.
Well, I'd trust people in this community more than others so I guess its where you grew up hobby wise what people etc

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lam, er...Livingenzyme from this forum, shipped me his MM Lp at his own expense. I'm still waiting for my girl to molt. I've spoken to him on the phone, but he never posts here. Whatever occurs when she finally does molt, he wont lose any money. He may lose this mm, maybe, but he may also get a whole lot of babies. I take care of his spider as if it were my own. Its worth it, I see why he did it..he wants his mm to fulfill his purpose. If for some reason I can't find mf for my sexed males, I will do the same. I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it ;) But I would never judge someone for holding on to a pet they love..that would be foolish. We humanize our pets. The fact that some of them aren't capable of returning our love means nothing at all.

Last edited: