• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. auratus sexing help?

NorseDad

This was the best I could get based on the shredded mess it left me. It looks male to me, but I don't have much experience sexing.
IMG_6195(1).jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's really hard to say but it could be female.. It does look like there's a bit of a flap there? but it's not clear enough for me to see :(

NorseDad

It's really hard to say but it could be female.. It does look like there's a bit of a flap there? but it's not clear enough for me to see :(
I’m not sure if it is a flap or tear. I tried to gently flatten it out more, but it ripped. It was about 2.5-3 inch dls before the molt. No signs of tibial hooks or anything, but it’s still small for the species to be mature.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’m not sure if it is a flap or tear. I tried to gently flatten it out more, but it ripped. It was about 2.5-3 inch dls before the molt. No signs of tibial hooks or anything, but it’s still small for the species to be mature.
Far to small for it to mature.. Males get to at least 8" or so...
Being a phormictopus it won't be long before it moults again so hopefully you'll get a better look next time fingers crossed :)

Latest posts